Getting Marshall Plexi-like tones on a budget?

Burstbucker

• Members

What constitutes budget?

Old Traynor stuff is pretty killer and doesn't command huge money used. The Peavey Windsor has had some good reviews (hot rodded Marshall tones). Older Sound City stuff can be had on a budget if you shop smart. Or as Dave said - pick up a Bassman (Silverface might be a better price) and have a local tech do some mods on it. You'd be pleasantly surprised.

• Members

Is there a budget priced tube head out there that can get that old-school 70s Rock crunch, ala AC/DC, etc?

The first Plexis were based upon the Fender Bassman. I'm not an expert when it comes to Fender's amps, so I can't say how much more expensive or cheaper the Bassan is compared to a Plexi.

• Members

Very good suggestions guys, thanks!

What about a JCM-800 type sound on a budget? I heard tell that those Peavey VTM-60 tube heads that were out in the late 80s were actually good at this, any truth to that claim? I know one thing for sure, those amps sure were damn ugly!

8^)

• Members

Very good suggestions guys, thanks!

What about a JCM-800 type sound on a budget? I heard tell that those Peavey VTM-60 tube heads that were out in the late 80s were actually good at this, any truth to that claim? I know one thing for sure, those amps sure were damn ugly!

8^)

Sovtek Mig heads do that well on a budget. I can't remember which one though.

-W

Archived