SS 4 ohms into 8 ohm cab?

Clypher

• Members

I remember reading that it isn't a big deal mismatching the ohms when using a solid state head, but i discovered that the outputs of a marshall 8100 are 4 ohms, and my cab is 8 ohms. I don't just want it to be a safe alternative or temporary fix. Would i notice anything at all if i used it like that as long as i have the head?

• Members

I remember reading that it isn't a big deal mismatching the ohms when using a solid state head, but i discovered that the outputs of a marshall 8100 are 4 ohms, and my cab is 8 ohms. I don't just want it to be a safe alternative or temporary fix. Would i notice anything at all if i used it like that as long as i have the head?

Its SS so you'll be fine. You'll probably lose some of the amp's power is all.

• Members

loss of power is good haha, i'll be tearing it up in my bedroom. even if i wasn't i really don't get the point of how loud amps are these days... my 50 watt recto has more volume than i'll EVER need.

so it won't have any effect on tone, longevity, and won't break ANY thing?

just... being cautious. i don't have enough money to waste.

• Members

With SS the ohms are just going to affect the amp's wattage. It's fine to play your 4 ohm amp into an 8 ohm cab because it will halve the awttage. Doing it the other way around will double the wattage and that could damage your amp if it's not capable of that.

You could run it into a 16 ohm cab and get 1/4 your wattage and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems, at lesat you shouldn't. So you'll be fine. Just dont force the amp to put out more power than it's designed to and you should be fine.

Archived