High Gain SS Shootout! 8100 vs. VH140C

Clypher

• Members

Pretty straight forward. For getting a menacing tone of doom, which amp do you prefer?

Marshall 8100

OR

Ampeg VH140C

Bonus: Tightness, clarity, etc. are also of great interest. I just sold my amp and am looking for a new one, these two seem to fit the bill.

Godspeed!

• Members

the vs100h is almost the same amp as the 8100.

I just bought a vs100 for $120 shipped and expect it tomorrow

The VS100RH is the second, refined version of the 8100. The best Marshall Valve State amp ever made. The circuit design was changed to allow the pre-amp tube to run at high voltages in all three channels. The f/x loop was improved with a wider and cleaner frequency range and the onboard spring reverb was also improved to reduce noise at high volumes.

I owned one for five years. I played it through two of the older style VS 4x12 cabs with 25 watt Celestions. That was a great stack. Consistant and reliable to a fault. The tonal range covered anything from crystal or warm cleans, through classic Marshall OD and on to super high gain modern metal tones.

I so regret trading mine away when I went to a tube rig. If I could find a minty example right now I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Eric

Archived