Steve Clark's amps, gear on "High And Dry"?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

Mutt was the man at getting great Marshall tone recorded. And High Dry guitar tone is a thing of beauty.

If you like it, cool. I like where he recorded the rhythms with single notes and put them tracks together for the chords because he didn't like the way they sounded otherwise. Hard to say what anything sounded like initially. That said, I don't really care much for the finished product. Of course, its better than listening to Shania through the auto-pitch machine.:thu:

• Members

The amps were stock JCM 800 100wt amps with a single 4x12. I believe Clark had a Duncan in the bridge spot of his Les Paul Standard.

But as noted, Mutt Lange needs to be credited for the guitar tones. He was already a master of recording the JCM 800 -- having had much success with AC/DC (Back in Black and For Those About to Rock were done on JCM 800s).

• Members

I thought High & Dry was before Mutt came into the picture... ? To me, it's the best Def Leppard album. The later stuff just got too glossy, IMHO - High & Dry still has that in-your-face edge to it. Pyromania might have better songs, but I like the rawness of this one. On the other hand, parts of Hysteria just made me cringe...

As far as Steve's pups, I would venture a guess of DiMarzio Super Distortions - those were the big thing for alot of the NWOBHM groups, and others...

a Les Paul + a cranked Marshall = PURE SEX :love:

Here's a kick-ass video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjMFhgC_x0

• Members

The amps were stock JCM 800 100wt amps with a single 4x12. I believe Clark had a Duncan in the bridge spot of his Les Paul Standard.

I just referenced an old article on steve clark. In the High n Dry era, he was using Seymour Duncan '59 pick-ups in his Les Paul Standards. He did also have 2 Hamer guitars at that time, which were outfitted with standard DiMarzio pickups (super distortion/PAF combo). But I believe the album itself was recorded with the Les Paul?

On tour, Steve used the Les Pauls along with a Boss Chorus, Boss Delay and a Morley Pre-amp Booster. This photo of Steve's rack show four non-master volume Marshall heads on the left. From top to bottom, they are: 1 = JMP, 2 = JMP, 3 = JCM 800, 4 = JMP.

Steve_s_Marshalls_Pyro_tour.jpg

Notice the funky speaker enclosures, as to increase sound dispersion across the stage.

• Members

I just referenced an old article on steve clark. In the High n Dry era, he was using Seymour Duncan '59 pick-ups in his Les Paul Standards. He did also have 2 Hamer guitars at that time, which were outfitted with standard DiMarzio pickups (super distortion/PAF combo). But I believe the album itself was recorded with the Les Paul?

On tour, Steve used the Les Pauls along with a Boss Chorus, Boss Delay and a Morley Pre-amp Booster. This photo of Steve's rack show four non-master volume Marshall heads on the left. From top to bottom, they are: 1 = JMP, 2 = JMP, 3 = JCM 800, 4 = JMP.

Steve_s_Marshalls_Pyro_tour.jpg

Notice the funky speaker enclosures, as to increase sound dispersion across the stage.

great info!

Archived