best digital piano/stage piano at lowest cost?

DV8R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any opinion on this?

It's basically the same as the NP30/31, except with 61 keys instead of 76. There are no low cost weighted boards that aren't 88 keys. I forgot they were coming out with a 61-key version of this. So again, an NP30 or cheaper/smaller NP11 is probably the best "small" piano, and could be combined with a Microstation to give you everything you want if you can figure out the logistics of where to put things.

edit: though the SP4, if in budget, is still a good choice too... as I said, different strengths and weaknesses to all these solutions...

• Members

I sent a message to Yamaha but maybe you would know. Are the outputs on the P95 1/4 or 1/8? I can't find an answer. I may need to order an adapter.

The only time I've ever seen 1/8 outputs on gear is for small, portable things like a Kaossilator, or one of Yamaha's QY thingies. I don't think I've ever ever seen 1/8 jacks on a full-size keyboard.

• Members

The only time I've ever seen 1/8 outputs on gear is for small, portable things like a Kaossilator, or one of Yamaha's QY thingies. I don't think I've ever ever seen 1/8 jacks on a full-size keyboard.

Ok, thanks. I'm a newb :D

I wasn't sure because they are headphone jacks.

• Members

It's basically the same as the NP30/31, except with 61 keys instead of 76. There are no low cost weighted boards that aren't 88 keys. I forgot they were coming out with a 61-key version of this. So again, an NP30 or cheaper/smaller NP11 is probably the best "small" piano, and could be combined with a Microstation to give you everything you want if you can figure out the logistics of where to put things.

edit: though the SP4, if in budget, is still a good choice too... as I said, different strengths and weaknesses to all these solutions...

I can't find much information, reviews or any demos for the NP11. Must be very new or something. If it has a stage worthy sounding piano I would get it. Good size for my small area and the price tag is outstanding (maybe too good to be true).

That Kurzweil seems very nice but that is probably too expensive, I don't think I would be approved for the 5 month plan (crap credit). No credit check for 3 month plans.

• Members

It's basically the same as the NP30/31, except with 61 keys instead of 76.

Wouldn't it sound more like the Yamaha NP-V80 or NP-V60 since it's part of the Piaggero line? How do those sound?

• Members

There are some digital pianos that have only 1/8" headphone outs. You can put an adapter on them and they will function as line outs. The Korg SP-170 and Casio PX-130 fall into this category. The Yamaha P95 and NP30 also use headphone outs, but they are 1/4". You would need an adapter to split them from TRS stereo 1/4" to separate L and R 1/4" jacks.

• Members

Wouldn't it sound more like the Yamaha NP-V80 or NP-V60 since it's part of the Piaggero line? How do those sound?

The NP-30 piano sounds much better than the NP-V80 (which in turn sounds much better than the NP-V60). The units are similar in that they are lightweight, battery-operable boards with built-in speakers and the same kinds of actions, but the sounds and features are completely different.

• Members

I can't find much information, reviews or any demos for the NP11. Must be very new or something. If it has a stage worthy sounding piano I would get it. Good size for my small area and the price tag is outstanding

Yes, it's new, it hasn't shipped yet. The NP31 is supposed to be the same as the NP30 except it has a better button arrangement for patch selection, and the NP11 is supposed to be the same thing with fewer keys, but I haven't seen/played them.

• Members

Dang it, so the NP11 probably sounds like crap. :(

EDIT: Oh, you sniped me lol. So although being part of the Piaggero line it is still going to have the NP30 sounds? Do you think the NP30 sounds nice? Gig worthy?

EDIT 2: oops, you haven't heard them. Anyone play or hear them?

• Members

61- or 76-key weighted hammer action...that's a tough combination to find in a stage/home piano. Besides the Yammie's piaggero line (which are not fully weighted hammer action), you'll probably have to look at the Studiologic MIDI keyboard controllers (see below) + a sound module (could be your computer with a VST plugin or the Korg microstation):

Studiologic VMK-176plus

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/studiologic-vmk-176plus-controller-keyboard/700738000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=45229891

Studiologic VMK-161plus

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/studiologic-vmk-161plus-controller-keyboard

• Members

I sent a message to Yamaha but maybe you would know. Are the outputs on the P95 1/4 or 1/8? I can't find an answer. I may need to order an adapter.

It will almost certainly have 1/4" outs but also a 1/8" headphone port.

• Members

nobeatnik have you heard the Piaggero line or NP-V60/80? If so how do you feel about them?

I was once in the market for something very similar so I've done some reading up on the Piaggeros (go to pianoworld.com for tons of discussion and reviews). The consensus is that sound-wise they are good, or at least similar to Yamaha's P-85 (P-95's predecessor) so that shouldn't be an issue (but don't rely on the on-board speakers).

However, they have a light action that is very dissimilar to acoustic pianos and digital pianos with full-fledged weighted hammer actions. If your aim is to learn to play piano on an acoustic someday with formal training, then I would not recommend it. If you just want to get a feel for keys and learn a few songs in a self-taught manner, then it might be acceptable.

• Members

Dang it, so the NP11 probably sounds like crap.
:(

EDIT: Oh, you sniped me lol. So although being part of the Piaggero line it is still going to have the NP30 sounds? Do you think the NP30 sounds nice? Gig worthy?

EDIT 2: oops, you haven't heard them. Anyone play or hear them?

NP30 sounds good, gig-worthy, and IMO better than any of the budget pieces you were originally asking about in the other thread (Microstation, Juno, Casio, MM). I expect the NP31 and NP11 will have the same NP30 sounds, from the way the pieces have been described. The V60 and V80 are entirely different animals... many more sounds and features, but piano doesn't sound as good, has USB but no MIDI jacks. Despite similar housings/physical design, under the hood, essentially, the V60 and V80 are variations of a DGX or YPG design, and the NP is more a variation on the P95.

• Members

I was once in the market for something very similar so I've done some reading up on the Piaggeros (go to pianoworld.com for tons of discussion and reviews). The consensus is that sound-wise they are good, or at least similar to Yamaha's P-85 (P-95's predecessor) so that shouldn't be an issue

I don't think that's the consensus at all. The P85 and P95 supposedly sound very similar (I've never played a P85), but the NP-V80 (and worse, the NP-V60) do not sound like the P95, and, to my ears, are greatly inferior. The NP30 sound is similar to the P95; I think the P95 sounds a bit better, but the bigger difference is between those and the NP models. Though yes, the NP30 speakers are far inferior to those on the P95.

• Members

I might get that NP11. It's so cheap it's unbelievable if it has the sound you describe. I could definitely use the saved money, considering the most likely other option would be a Korg PS60 and I guess Korg's pianos aren't that great. That or the Kurzweil, which is really too expensive.

• Members

I don't think that's the consensus at all. The P85 and P95 supposedly sound very similar (I've never played a P85), but the NP-V80 (and worse, the NP-V60) do not sound like the P95, and, to my ears, are greatly inferior. The NP30 sound is similar to the P95; I think the P95 sounds a bit better, but the bigger difference is between those and the NP models. Though yes, the NP30 speakers are far inferior to those on the P95.

Hmm, I assumed the NP-Vxx would be as good as the NPxx but I guess not. Saves quite a bit by going for NPxx too.

• Members

Do you think 61 keys is a wide enough range for some good original music?

Hard to tell without knowing what kind of music you like to play. Personally I find 76 a minimum for piano-oriented playing (and 88 if you're going to be playing a lot of classical stuff). The worst thing would be to get too-short a keybed and find yourself subconsciously limiting your compositions because you don't have the key range.

• Members

I really want to get the Kurzweil SP4-7 76 Key. Just wish it wasn't so expensive. It will leave me almost broke for 5 months if I can even get approved.

What is your music background (eg, played piano since I was 6, messed around on a casio once and liked it, etc.)?

What are your music aspirations on the keyboard (eg, want to learn classical piano, want to learn to play Lady Gaga's latest song, want to write own songs. etc.)?

It might help us give you a better recommendation.

• Members

I am learning guitar and hoping to learn keyboard as well, maybe gig someday. Original music, rock/metal/alternative types. I have no experience with pianos/synths.

Archived