OT: Since we have a few photography guys...

rememberduane

• Members

The day before yesterday, I went and got my first SLR. I got it for really cheap at a rummage shop -- it's a 70's Canon AE-1. I got it with a 28-70mm lens. I have never been trained in photography and it's about time I get my feet wet. Well I just got my first roll back, a roll of b/w 400 iso film, and now I realize why photography is so hard. It doesn't help that I shot at dusk, but yeah, most came out wayyyy too dark. Anyway, here are a few that I thought were successes (more like... acceptable on a minimum level)... go easy, bear in mind this is my very first roll of film with an SLR, and I went all manual.

CNV00003.jpg

CNV00002.jpg

CNV00004.jpg

CNV00005.jpg

CNV00006.jpg

CNV00007.jpg

CNV00008.jpg

CNV00012.jpg

CNV00013.jpg

They were shot at various places around Edinburgh.

What do you guys think? I'm picking up my first color prints tomorrow, and I'm hoping I did a better job. I shot them during the day and I think I had a better bearing on lighting.

Thanks for any comments, even if it's to tell me I suck. :cry:

• Members

I like them ...

I'm more intrigued with the cemetary shots ...

real old cemetary's are cool shit ..

and hey is that " Big Ben " ???

and the other Industrial looking shot reminds me of the clips I saw on my Black Sabbath History Video :D

anyway .... looks a lot more interesting than my neighborhood:thu:

• Members

The day before yesterday, I went and got my first SLR. I got it for really cheap at a rummage shop -- it's a 70's Canon AE-1. I got it with a 28-70mm lens.

Thanks for any comments, even if it's to tell me I suck.
:cry:

I have one of those too and of course you can get good pics with it.

But i would advise you to get a digital SLR - even if it is older and does not have the amount of Mpixel you find on cams today.

Why? Because you get to see the results instantly, and don't have to worry about developing cost.

I got my D-SLR in april 06 and have already shot about 4000 pictures (most for testing purposes). Imagine the cost of development if that was film :eek:

In the long run you will save money.

BTW, for a first experience with a SLR those are nice :)

• Members

I like them ...

I'm more intrigued with the cemetary shots ...

real old cemetary's are cool shit ..

and hey is that " Big Ben " ???

and the other Industrial looking shot reminds me of the clips I saw on my Black Sabbath History Video
:D

anyway .... looks a lot more interesting than my neighborhood:thu:

Thanks man! Yeah, I love old cemeteries -- I'll be taking more of them to be sure.

Haha, nah that's not Big Ben, Big Ben's in London at Westminster -- that's just the clocktower on the Balmoral Hotel here in town (super swanky).

Black Sabbath = :love:

It's definitely an interesting neighborhood, I love this city!

• Members

It always amazes me how crisp and nice film photos are
:love:

Theyre great! Especially for a first set! I dont like the focusing or persoectives of a couple, but most of them, especially the first, are amazing!

Thanks man, I appreciate the input. If you don't mind, could you tell me which shots you like/dislike? I'm definitely looking for constructive criticism, this is all a learning process.

I agree, film is so beautiful!

• Members

I have one of those too and of course you can get good pics with it.

But i would advise you to get a digital SLR - even if it is older and does not have the amount of Mpixel you find on cams today.

Why? Because you get to see the results instantly, and don't have to worry about developing cost.

I got my D-SLR in april 06 and have already shot about 4000 pictures (most for testing purposes). Imagine the cost of development if that was film
:eek:
In the long run you will save money.

BTW, for a first experience with a SLR those are nice
:)

:) Thanks for the compliment.

I agree, it seems to be a great value camera.

When I can afford it I'll be getting a DSLR, but right now I'm a poor college student and I was lucky to scrounge up the dough for this one. I can definitely see how a DSLR will be cheaper in the long run though. My only issue is that don't digital cameras have a *slight* delay before the shutter?

• Members

Thanks man, I appreciate the input. If you don't mind, could you tell me which shots you like/dislike? I'm definitely looking for constructive criticism, this is all a learning process.

I agree re the film comment......

how much did u pay for the camera?

• Members

B&W is usually a personal thing in that people who shoot a lot of it will develop it and print it themselves. Labs will just run it with whatever type of developer for whatever time and temperature.

You can, though, try and expose for what your lab does but really not the best.

You need to expose for the shadows and devwelop for the highlights. This means, in general, overexposing the film a bit and cutting back on development so as not to blow out the highlights.

A good print will contain all the tones from pure black to highlights. This means that even very dark shadow areas contain detail as well as bright objects not blown out and containg detail.

Its kinda like how a great recording contains a balance of all the frequencies.

Awesome, thanks for that advice, it really helps a ton. I'm really just trying to read up as much as possible. I know b&w is better if you can develop it yourself, but I don't have access to a darkroom. I think I'm going to take a couple classes this summer at the Edinburgh College of Art, so hopefully I'll have access then.

Really though, that was very helpful, thank you.

• Members

Nice work. I love B&W, plus you have some nice subject matter to work with. you have some nice perspective & depth of field work on there.

A tip - Slowing down your shudder speed will help let more light in the pics.

Thanks. :D It's definitely easy to take great pictures when you have such beautiful stuff to shoot.

Yeah, I've read up on ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed, but it's just going to take some time to get used to it. I thought I had a good combination, but I was clearly wrong -- I was hovering around an 5-6 aperture with 1/125 shutter speed on 400 ISO film at dusk. Thanks for the advice though, it definitely helps.

• Members

The 2nd and 8th picture mainly. The second ones got great potential I just think it needs a lower viewpoint, it feels a bit out of balance. If it was taken from close too the ground with the plants in focus, but looking up to incluce the whole buinding I think it would give a great sense of scale and size interaction.

The 8th just seems a bit bland... Nothing really wrong with it, just nothing that special. I think it would be great if you edited it with a really dramatic skyline, that would be :eek: and would make it a much better, intense photo! :D

But great work! :thu:

• Members

The day before yesterday, I went and got my first SLR. I got it for really cheap at a rummage shop -- it's a 70's Canon AE-1. I got it with a 28-70mm lens. I have never been trained in photography and it's about time I get my feet wet. Well I just got my first roll back, a roll of b/w 400 iso film, and now I realize why photography is so hard. It doesn't help that I shot at dusk, but yeah, most came out wayyyy too dark. Anyway, here are a few that I thought were successes (more like... acceptable on a minimum level)... go easy, bear in mind this is my very first roll of film with an SLR, and I went all manual.

CNV00003.jpg

CNV00002.jpg

CNV00004.jpg

CNV00005.jpg

CNV00006.jpg

CNV00007.jpg

CNV00008.jpg

CNV00012.jpg

CNV00013.jpg

They were shot at various places around Edinburgh.

What do you guys think? I'm picking up my first color prints tomorrow, and I'm hoping I did a better job. I shot them during the day and I think I had a better bearing on lighting.

Thanks for any comments, even if it's to tell me I suck.
:cry:

Your photos have a lot of sky in them, the extra light fools the meter and causes under exposure of the main subject. It looks like you could open up about 1 more stop of light, since you are shooting in Manual you can use either aperture or shutter speed for the correction. The "expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights" advice above is excellent as well.

• Members

You've got some good shots there. I agree with Snott, B&W developing and printing can go from light to dark and soft to contrasty. If you can't process yourself get used to how one place does it and adjust your shots to compensate. There are some nice filters for B&W that are pretty cheap nowadays and are fun to experiment with. I've had my AE-1 for about 25 years and it is almost bullet proof. Although the faster you switch to a Digital SLR, the cheaper. The expense of getting the film and the processing done around here adds up quick and can be more than the price of a new Canon Digital Rebel before you know it.

• Members

I've got a Canon AE-1 also... great cameras if you keep them clean! The shutter mechanisms are a little sensitive to contamination and condensation, so baby it. If it starts to make loud zippy or whistle-y noises when you take pictures, get it cleaned.

I don't use mine as much as my other cameras, mainly because I have a ton of lenses for other stuff. My go-to body is a Chinon CE-5 (Pentax clone) because it's built like a tank and super-simple to use, and I happen to have some really fast lenses for it. I also use an Olympus OM2n a lot, but it's a little more finicky. I inherited most of my gear, so I have a lot more stuff than I really know what to do with... but it's fun.

Archived