OT: Hey! The Science Inclined!

Loghead

• Members

same thing with carbonated drinks like Coke :) i prefer my sodas warm (not like hot warm, just not refrigerated...) because it allows the CO2 to escape faster, making it less carbonated. also, not being refrigerated makes it easier for me to drink!

now heres a good science question...why does hot water freeze faster than cold? GO!

• Members

Disturbing the surface allows the dissolved CO2 opportunity to escape solution.

That's why warm beer foams even more-- hot beer can hold less CO2 so the CO2 is released creating pressure inside the can/bottle.

Hm. Okay. So I just dropped a 12 oz. bottle on the floor while taking it out of the icebox. It rattled around on the floor, and appears to be very threatening. If I had just turned the beer sideways gently, I would assume that I would have provided the the CO2 with a lot of surface area, yet the bottle wouldn't threaten me so. Why is this? Oh, air bubbles count as surface. Is that it?

• Members

same thing with carbonated drinks like Coke
:)
i prefer my sodas warm (not like hot warm, just not refrigerated...) because it allows the CO2 to escape faster, making it less carbonated. also, not being refrigerated makes it easier for me to drink!

now heres a good science question...why does hot water freeze faster than cold? GO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

• Members

Hm. Okay. So I just dropped a 12 oz. bottle on the floor while taking it out of the icebox. It rattled around on the floor, and appears to be very threatening. If I had just turned the beer sideways gently, I would assume that I would have provided the the CO2 with a lot of surface area, yet the bottle wouldn't threaten me so. Why is this? Oh, air bubbles count as surface. Is that it?

Well it's actually the disturbance of the surface not the creation of more surface. Meaning that gently turning it isn't really breaking the surface so much as it is extending the surface.

• Members

Well it's actually the disturbance of the surface not the creation of more surface. Meaning that gently turning it isn't really breaking the surface so much as it is extending the surface.

I have a feeling this is about to get too technical for me, but what the hey. Why does "disturbance" of the surface release more CO2?

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

thanks...i knew some of that already, but that taught me even more :wave:

a while back someone asked me that same question and i was like "well...right before water freezes it expands, then contracts, which causes cracks in rocks and other surfaces where water freezes. warmer water is already expanded so it can kinda 'skip' that part and go straight on to freezing!"

maybe not exactly correct, but it sounds cool :thu:

• Members

The answer is that CO2 in solution is very unstable. It doesn't take much energy input to make it pop out of solution. It just doesn't really want to stay dissolved.

CO2 is one of the most stable and neutral compounds around, which is why it can be commonly found through various places in the industry and products said industries create :p

• Members

The answer is that CO2 in solution is very unstable. It doesn't take much energy input to make it pop out of solution. It just doesn't really want to stay dissolved.

CO2 sounds like a communist agitator, a little revolutionary bastard, a whinny liberal Democrat. Was it an invention of the French?

• Members

Hahahah. Pwn3d.

my friend actually did a pretty extensive set of experiements on it in school, for one of his papers along the way to his dual degree in math and physics. he used everything from the freezers in little dorm fridges, to a few different regular house fridges, to chest freezers, to a big walk-in freezer room, to sub-freezing outdoor temperatures. it was pretty conclusive - cold water freezes faster every time, except when the heat of hot water can trigger the pump to run sooner on a mechanical freezer.

• Members

CO2 is one of the most stable and neutral compounds around, which is why it can be commonly found through various places in the industry and products said industries create
:p

Overdriven has it right. Actually, it's a very simple explanation as to why dissolved CO2 rushes out of solution as soon as it gets the energy to do so:

CO2(aq)H2O(l)+CO2(g)

Entropy to go from a liquid to a gas is a highly positive change, driving the reaction towards product in this equilibrium.

Archived