Recommend me a good Speaker Simulator!

JohnRageOn

• Members

Help needed!

I'm setting up my new home office and I will have the VHT Super Thirty located there permanently. The amp has a line out which is more suitable to feed a power amp section rather than used for direct recording. To record with a microphone is not the best solution at the moment. If you think of a better solution tell me. I think that using a speaker simulator is the most efficient solution.

Thank you in advance! :)

Edit 1: I was considering purchasing a Cab Tone. What are your thoughts (or experiences) on this unit?

• Members

I agree on the Palmer. I have a PGA-05 ADIG-ST in my live rig as well as one at home and the other guitarist in my band uses a PGA-04 ADIG-LB. They are expensive an inexpensive alternative is the Palmer PDI 09 which is a small direct box that sounds great as well.

• Members

Guys I must thank all of you for your quick answers. Personally I haven't heard bad things about Palmer.

Yes, Palmer PDI-03 or PGA-04 are both good sounding speaker simulators, so is the Marshall SE 100 - a more expensive solution would be the Sequis Motherload, never heard one in person, but read great things about it.

Assinger, have you tried a PDI-03 as a DI and from the PC a Software Cabinet Simulation plugin?

• Members

...Assinger, have you tried a PDI-03 as a DI and from the PC a Software Cabinet Simulation plugin?

I use the PDI-03 only for (silent) home-recording, I go amp (VH-4 or Screamer) -> mixer -> harddiscrecorder. I don't record with my pc, but with an external hd-recorder, so I never tried a plugin. Love the PDI-03, sold the POD, the Tonelab, just the V-AMP pro is left, because it's not worth selling it ;-)

• Members

Check over on the andy sneap forum and do a search for impulses. YOu can hear clips with them and some of them sound awesome

Its a type of VST plug-in that you can download for free than simulates a cab, but you actually make them from recording through your cab. I cant really explain it. But you can download ones other people made, record your amp direct and use the impulse or cab simulator to get a realistic sound.

It can be used with modelers too, if you turn off the cab sim, to get a more realistic sound.

• Members

Check over on the andy sneap forum and do a search for impulses. YOu can hear clips with them and some of them sound awesome

Its a type of VST plug-in that you can download for free than simulates a cab, but you actually make them from recording through your cab. I cant really explain it. But you can download ones other people made, record your amp direct and use the impulse or cab simulator to get a realistic sound.

It can be used with modelers too, if you turn off the cab sim, to get a more realistic sound.

Useful advice! Thank you I'll check it as soon as possible. :thu:

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

I have a motherload and I've heard a Palmer. Both sound very good. I'd give the nod to the Motherload (hence my purchase) because the Motherload is much more adjustable and sounds a bit more like the actual miked cab to my ears.

Terry D.

• Moderators

Personally I'd use some software amp modeler, like Guitar Rig.

Well, I guess it depends on what you like but the sounds of amp modelers and attenuated real amps are very different, at least to me.

Far as I can tell, the best solution if you can't crank your big rig up with a mike in front of it is to buy a small amp and crank THAT up with a mike in front of it.

:)

Terry D.

Archived