Voodo Amps Proto type

Igneroid

• Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this amp offa ebay around xmas and received it in perfect working order. I contacted Trace at Voodoo to confirm I didnt get hosed.(see link) The thing is kinda weird in its eq layout( its a single channel amp but gain, bass, mids, and treble have two controls each). Messing around(tweeking) can get you anything from shimmering cleans to kikass metal with great dynamics throughout.

The thing looks like a dogs breakfast though. Its built into an old Fender PA head that was {censored} kicked in a previous life. I planned on building a nice birch enclosure(I own a portable sawmill) and stuffing this head into it but the guys in the band say I should leave it as is. Its perfectly fuctional and they are thinkin it may be worth alot in the future givin the sucess that Voodoo Amps are experiencing. OPinions???

http://p218.ezboard.com/fvoodooampsbbsfrm3.showMessage?topicID=877.topic

• Members

I bought this amp offa ebay around xmas and received it in perfect working order. I contacted Trace at Voodoo to confirm I didnt get hosed.(see link) The thing is kinda weird in its eq layout( its a single channel amp but gain, bass, mids, and treble have two controls each). Messing around(tweeking) can get you anything from shimmering cleans to kikass metal with great dynamics throughout.

Glad to hear you are hearing the amp as we did. It's been a little bit since we've had that amp here but it was used a good deal of sessions by Alex Perialas at Pyramid Recording Studios before we decided to sell it.

The thing looks like a dogs breakfast though. Its built into an old Fender PA head that was {censored} kicked in a previous life. I planned on building a nice birch enclosure(I own a portable sawmill) and stuffing this head into it but the guys in the band say I should leave it as is. Its perfectly fuctional and they are thinkin it may be worth alot in the future givin the sucess that Voodoo Amps are experiencing. OPinions???

If anything I would think a nice birch or flame maple head box would increase the value of the amp. That reminds me that some where in one of the stock rooms we have another Fender PA-100 head that we were going to build the same circuit in. It's a cool design and the dual EQ and gain controls make it very versatile for a single channel amp.

Hope you are enjoying it :)

Trace

• Members

Can I assume the two tone stacks are pre and post gain?

THere's not enough amps with that configuration out there.

I can think of Mesa's Mark serie, but the post-gain EQing is an SS based graphic EQ.

This can be a really powerful combination. :thu:

• Members

Can I assume the two tone stacks are pre and post gain?

Actually both tone stacks and gain controls are pre-gain, meaning they preceed the Master Volume pot.

THere's not enough amps with that configuration out there. I can think of Mesa's Mark serie, but the post-gain EQing is an SS based graphic EQ.

This amp is all tube driven (IE: no solid state over drive or solid state EQ).

This can be a really powerful combination.

It does make for a very versatile amp as you can dial in a wide range of tones with it.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Glad to hear you are hearing the amp as we did. It's been a little bit since we've had that amp here but it was used a good deal of sessions by Alex Perialas at Pyramid Recording Studios before we decided to sell it.

If anything I would think a nice birch or flame maple head box would increase the value of the amp. That reminds me that some where in one of the stock rooms we have another Fender PA-100 head that we were going to build the same circuit in. It's a cool design and the dual EQ and gain controls make it very versatile for a single channel amp.

Hope you are enjoying it
:)
Trace

Thanks. Im enjoying it you bet. The thing ROCKS. Guess Ill build a birch enclosure for it and buy one of your uptown(VOODOO) logos to put on it.

• Members

Thanks. Im enjoying it you bet. The thing ROCKS. Guess Ill build a birch enclosure for it and buy one of your uptown(VOODOO) logos to put on it.

We would be happy to accomodate your needs my good sir, just give us a call when ever you like and we'll get a logo shipped out to you.

Have a great Tuesday morning :)

Trace

Archived