rack unit direct to PA, any suggestions?

Stella Joop

• Members

it can be a modeler or otherwise,recording pre, old, new, i dont care...im really not picky. the only one sound i need is that in-between sound...if i dig in it grinds a little if i lay off it cleans up. somewhere in the ballpark of a deluxe reverb.

any suggestions, thanks. im trying to avoid the line 6 because A) every line 6 product i have owned has broken in short order. and B) the "in-between" dynamic sound is not the POD's strong point.

let me restate, RACKUNIT. thanks a bunch guys.

• Members

thanks guys, but yeah, im not going to be using cabs onstage. i play in a bit of an odd band. we do not have live kit, we play drum loops and sequences on a backing track and then run bass and guitar direct. (or rather, we will now) so we wont have live amps onstage competeing with the monitor mix.which can be a nightmare and i want it rackmount because evrything else of ours is racked, (synths, processors, midi, bass, etc)

for recording i use a mesa mk3 combo, so i may look into a mesa rack pre. the studio, formula or vtwin.

any more suggestions? wow, this forum moves fast.

• Members

it can be a modeler or otherwise,recording pre, old, new, i dont care...im really not picky. the only one sound i need is that in-between sound...if i dig in it grinds a little if i lay off it cleans up. somewhere in the ballpark of a deluxe reverb.

any suggestions, thanks. im trying to avoid the line 6 because A) every line 6 product i have owned has broken in short order. and B) the "in-between" dynamic sound is not the POD's strong point.

let me restate, RACKUNIT. thanks a bunch guys.

Some seem to hate, but I

• Members

i have played through a psa-1 before, and i remember liking it...its pretty much industry standard for direct, i just cant rememebr what those "in-between" sounds sounded like on it, but then again...im really not a stickler or tone-nut, as long as its close i can make it work.

im mainly a synth player :o

• Members

Yeah, I agree prolly any decent rack preamp, and some sort of Guitar Cab Sim unit like the Behringer, Palmer, or ADA.

The Mesa Formula is pretty good at clean, and low gain sounds, if thats your main thing. The Mesa Studio is also. Since you said you use a Mesa anyways.

The PSA-1 isnt bad, but I think it was better at higher gain. The PODXTPRO would be OK as well, if you need the felxability and effects.

• Members

Most people seem to be ignoring the fact that you want just an in-between sound and you play a MkII Boogie. I humbley suggest you look around for a used Mesa Boogie Studio preamp.

thanks nik, you are correct. i had forgotten about the mesa studio pre. i had a friend who used to have the formula pre...cant remember what the inbetweens were like on it though.

i assume the studio pre would sound great direct, given its geared toward studio use.

• Members

thanks nik, you are correct. i had forgotten about the mesa studio pre. i had a friend who used to have the formula pre...cant remember what the inbetweens were like on it though.

i assume the studio pre would sound great direct, given its geared toward studio use.

It has speaker-simulated direct outs, which are OK. On a similar level to the H&K Redbox simulation or the simulated outputs as on the Marshall JMP-1. Not as sophisticated or as authentic as the digital simulations in Pods, Tonelabs etc, but very usable. Speaker sims seem to be very much a matter of taste in the same way that micing up a cab is a matter of taste.

Archived