Engl Screamer 50watt head- a ripper!

petejt

• Members

Hey Pete how you going, I've been meaning to check out Billy Hyde's for a while now, will I get there if I turn onto scarborough beach rd off west coast hway and just keep going down it? Glad you found a kickass amp heh, did they let you crank it in zenith? That place is always so quiet im always scared to crank stuff up in there lol.

• Members

And I forgot to mention the bass as well. There just isn't nearly enough. I get nowhere the amount of bass that is in this clip, and I have it maxed as well.

Damn, well do the swap thing when your tubes come but it may be a job for a tech.

Good luck.

• Members

Damn, well do the swap thing when your tubes come but it may be a job for a tech.

Good luck.

Well either way, thanks for the input man. I know not a lot of people around here these days take the time to help somebody else out:thu:

• Members

I wonder how my Screamer head didn't have much gain at all. I mean, I had gain dimed, and still couldn't get any real sustain or compression out of it. Palmmutes were just "click click" instead of thump. I felt like it had only about as much gain as your average Marshall... weird. I just couldn't get a good metal sound out of it.

The first blackmore I heard was absolute {censored} - bad tubes.

Just something about it couldn't get saturated gain no matter what I did.

Then I heard my one and it was like night and day.

Gain and sustain for days.

@GnR102385 - Probably a similar situation - Probably just needed a tube change for the brutality to begin.

If you're still having trouble at that time get it checked by a tech.

• Members

The first blackmore I heard was absolute {censored} - bad tubes.

Just something about it couldn't get saturated gain no matter what I did.

Then I heard my one and it was like night and day.

Probably a similar situation - Probably just needed a tube change for the brutality to begin.

I am really hoping that is the problem with mine, so I can get the bad tube out, good tube in an let my own brutality begin:evil:

• Members

In the time I had with my Screamer, some of the issues I was having seems to be the same as some others here.

Kinda undefined low end. It's there, but there isn't a lot of it, and it isn't that punchy. Can agree with the "clicky"-ish palm mutes.

The only time I remember having problems with not having enough gain was when using the lo-lead setting, which is understandable really since it's supposed to be low gain. The hi-lead channel had FURIOUS amounts of gain. You could strike a note, make a sammich and the note would still be sustaining.

Was a bit too much high end dominance for me, but I like a lot of low growl in my tone, so it just means the amp wasn't really for me.

For rhythm, there are better options I think, but for leads this thing RIPS.

• Members

Don't understand the lack of gain for you. I can take mine close to fizz territory without a pedal. Try a TungSol or Pent Labs Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen in V1. I'm using the Penta, all other tubes are stock Engl brand. Actually, the original Engl V1 tube looks identical to the Penta and V2, V3, V4 look like JJs. Power tubes seem to be Sovteks.

• Members

I wonder how my Screamer head didn't have much gain at all. I mean, I had gain dimed, and still couldn't get any real sustain or compression out of it. Palmmutes were just "click click" instead of thump. I felt like it had only about as much gain as your average Marshall... weird. I just couldn't get a good metal sound out of it.

Duh....tubes maybe?:poke: Even new you occasionally get a dud...

Archived