Engl Screamer 50watt head- a ripper!

petejt

• Members

I travelled all over Perth to try out different amps for new setup, upgrading from my crappy woofy-sounding Line6 Flextone II combo. I kept an open mind and tried a few different sorts of amps. Some sounded fairly good but didn't really cut it, not even the massive Mesa/Boogie Road King II head.

I tried the Engl Screamer 50watt head, through an Engl 4x12 cab, and man that thing is bloody awesome! :cool: It had a really aggressive sound to it. It was like a Marshall on steroids, in fact the aggressiveness reminded me of how James Hetfield used his Mesa/Boogie MarkIIC+ for Master of Puppets, in a way. The presence control was excellent. I liked the reverb too, and it did a nice EQ sound, even though the EQ was shared amongst the clean and lead channels. It had a great tight bottom end and a super-thick midrange that was punchy, but not horrible honky. It has heaps of gain, I only needed to put it on 4 (11 o'clock) for super-metal-thrash-crunch. A bit more would be awesome for extra sustain for soloing. This is an awesome amp for metal. I was going to get a Laney TT50H, but after trying this amp out, even after trying out the Engl Fireball, I am firm on the decision to get this amp. It's gonna be sweet when I can buy it! :love:

These were the settings I used. In fact the amp sounds great with everything at 12 o'clock!

Clean- 3 (9 o'clock)

Bright- on

Lead gain- 4 (11 o'clock)

Bass- 6 (1 o'clock)

Mid- 9 (4 o'clock)

Treble- 5 (12 o'clock)

Lead presence- 4 (11 o'clock)

Reverb- 2 (8 o'clock)

Gain- hi

Lead- on

Lead volume- 4 (11 o'clock)

Master- 7 (2 o'clock)

• Members

Where'd you go for that?

Only place I can actually remember seeing ENGL was an ENGL thunder at Zenith, lol.

First I tried out the combo version of the Screamer 50 at Zenith.

Then I went to Billy Hyde Music up in North Perth. That big new blue building, on the way to Scarborough Beach (catch the #400 bus). They had the head version as well as the Fireball.

Here, I found their website. Pretty good price I reckon.

Now all I need to do is find a good cab to go with it! The standard Engl 4x12 cab is pretty nice, nice tight low-end, but I'd like something with a bit more tight bottom-end thunk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder how my Screamer head didn't have much gain at all. I mean, I had gain dimed, and still couldn't get any real sustain or compression out of it. Palmmutes were just "click click" instead of thump. I felt like it had only about as much gain as your average Marshall... weird. I just couldn't get a good metal sound out of it.

• Members

I wonder how my Screamer head didn't have much gain at all. I mean, I had gain dimed, and still couldn't get any real sustain or compression out of it. Palmmutes were just "click click" instead of thump. I felt like it had only about as much gain as your average Marshall... weird. I just couldn't get a good metal sound out of it.

:o

Really?

Maybe something was wrong with your Screamer head? Or you had bad pickups in you guitar?

That's sound strange, because Screamer should be a real metal monster, what I've heard.

• Members

Savage is kind of a big brother of Blackmore, and Blackmore is a big brother of Screamer. Still, Savage is rather far from Screamer.

I have wondered myself if there was something from with my Screamer. I couldn't get any kind of chug out of it, no matter what I did, and I have really hot pickups in my SG. Easily comparable to EMG-81 in terms of output. I did try swapping positions of pre-amp tubes etc, but nothing changed. However, the crunch channel of that Screamer didn't crunch almost at all. It was like a another clean channel, especially with my neck pickup. That was kind of odd...

I did return that Screamer to the shop, and at least I never got any complaints that it would have been faulty of something. I'd say Fireball gain at 2/10 on ulta gain channel was pretty much equal to Screamer 10/10 on high gain channel.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am currently having the same problem as this guy had with his, and I have no idea what the deal is. Everything sounds good except high gain stuff:confused:

• Members

Yes, one of the first things I tried. How could I tell if one of the tubes needed replaced? Sorry Im a t00b n00b:(

Has it always not given you enough gain or is this a new development?

The only way I know of going about testing tubes is to find a new tube that you know works and swap it for the other tubes, one at a time. If it's a tube problem you'll eventually find it. Failing that, I'd suggest taking it to a tech.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Has it always not given you enough gain or is this a new development?

The only way I know of going about testing tubes is to find a new tube that you know works and swap it for the other tubes, one at a time. If it's a tube problem you'll eventually find it. Failing that, I'd suggest taking it to a tech.

Hope that helps.

I have only had it for a week, but it has been giving me the problem the whole time. I have some spare tubes on the way, so I will give the switch out thing a try when they get here. Thanks for the tips:thu:

Archived