If you had to choose...

mikelpanky

• Members

In broad categories, I think there are three types of synth examples that show synths as something other than sources of sounds for pop producers and dance stuff... whether you want to demonstrate them all, I don't know, that depends on what you're trying to do... but I think they would be

(a) synthesizer versions of classical pieces a la Switched on Bach and some Tomita stuff

(b) new original compositions that use nothing but (or at least primarily) synthesizers a la Synergy and Kraftwerk (and a lot of more esoteric stuff)

(c) new music that relies on synthesizer but is combined with more traditional rock or jazz instrumentation/approaches a la some ELP and Weather Report

Agreed (re: categorization). Instead of demonstrating 5 or 6 favorite electronic pieces, Would it be more helpful to explain / demonstrate the roles of synths in a more general sense? AnotherScott's list would be a good starting point. I'd also list the roles of synths in:

d) Popular/dance music (not artistically or musically pleasing to me, but to the masses, it's made a huge impact)

e) Film music

f) Underground/Noise electronic artists

g) Gaming Industry

As an aside, how about dicussing/demonstrating the technical/historical aspects, such as:

1. Digital/analog

2. Sampling

3. Modular synths

4. Controllers (ribbon controllers, DBeam, X/Y Pads, etc)

5. Additive synths

6. Softsynths

• Members

Another thing I'd like to include is a "traditional" piece that is composed for synthesizer. But not weirdo noise pieces, either. Something that was composed, but for synth. I've heard of a number of pieces written for Synclavier, but not sure what. MOST pieces I've found originally composed for synth are generally BS noise or music concrete stuff, so I'm not even making a very convincing argument to myself, in that respect >_>

First thing that comes to mind is Larry Fast's Synergy releases.

• Members

So I definitely want to do some Vangelis and JMJ. I really feel like Kraftwerk to show off some of the earlier melodic synth exploration. Maybe include some pieces with non-synth instruments (those oddball compositions for flute, cello, and DX-7 or whatever)

Ok, on a more serious note... if I wanted to show them what synths are or have been capable of... choose your fave from the following albums:

- Switched on Bach (Original release), Wendy Carlos

- Oxygene, Jean Michel Jarre

- Pictures at an Exhibition, TOMITA

- Autobahn, Kraftwerk

- Violator, Depeche Mode

- The downward spiral, NiN (I'd choose its No. 1 single, "Closer")

- Tron Legacy, Daft Punk. Yeah, I'm serious. Nice analoguesque but yet modern piece of work. Perhaps not "so interesting musically" but in sound design... it rules.

- and yes... Pop Corn!! :thu:

As usual, it's hard to define a "Top Five" out of such a huge concept like "synth music". But if this helps, be my guest :)

• Members

i always really liked this piece:

the opening theme for solaris (1972) is synthesized i think

[video=youtube;wlD-9uwHA40]

here are some modern classical entries from headphone commute:

http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/tag/modern-classical/

artists i really like from this period are ben frost, murcof, clint mansell, alva noto, monolake, fennesz, hecq, subheim, etc etc all have music that may be appropriate (though clearly not all of their works)

• Members

• Members

Pop Corn!!
:thu:

As usual, it's hard to define a "Top Five" out of such a huge concept like "synth music". But if this helps, be my guest
:)

Hmm...I like "Son of Flynn" from Tron.

I'd rather not sing, so that kind of knocks out Downward Spiral. (remember, these will be performed live)

I'd think Computer Love from Kraftwerk.

I'm not sure. Gus seems to be getting the idea, though.

Archived