Marshall 1960ax 4x12 cab -- Good Deal?

rogue_cashew

• Members

last fall i bought a marshall 1960ax cab at guitar center for $400 (1960ax basically translates to a slanted 4x12 with a pimpin' checkered grey grill and celestion greenbacks). i was looking through a Sweetwater catalog and i saw the same cabinet with a price of a little over $1000. i checked musicians friend the other day and it's listed as $1,079.00. it was sitting way in the back of the store, but there's nothing wrong with it and it sounds great. does anybody else have one of these or any clue why what seems a relatively expensive marshall cab would have been at such a low price?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1960AX-Cabinet?sku=482770

• Members

i already bought it last fall, sorry i was kind of unclear. i just noticed recently the new price so i wanted to check if anybody else had any info i was missing. i love the cab, it was priced at $400 and i think i got it for a little less, maybe around $350 'cause i also got two (new) boss pedals (comp. and dist.) for a total of $450. (to hold me over till i got my visual sound jekyll & hyde)

• Members

last fall i bought a marshall 1960ax cab at guitar center for $400 (1960ax basically translates to a slanted 4x12 with a pimpin' checkered grey grill and celestion greenbacks). i was looking through a Sweetwater catalog and i saw the same cabinet with a price of a little over $1000. i checked musicians friend the other day and it's listed as $1,079.00. it was sitting way in the back of the store, but there's nothing wrong with it and it sounds great. does anybody else have one of these or any clue why what seems a relatively expensive marshall cab would have been at such a low price?

Thats a crazy price, Ive never seen them go for that cheap. You lucked out. I want one!! I love the grill on those.

• Members

no '1960' on the grill, but i think the newer ones are reissues or whatever, made as matches to one of the reissue heads (maybe wrong about that though). Maybe that's why it doesn't have '1960' on the grill like the originals, if that's what you mean. i love the cab, i just wish it was stereo. along those lines, has anybody here modded their marshall cab from mono to stereo? in guitar world/guitar one the tech education column said you could modify a mono cab to a stereo with a $40 jack. i'm interested in pursuing this... any thoughts?

Archived