Any other solid state players?

C Fuzz

• Members

I have been playing for 16 years and many of them in clubs. I have ALWAYS used ss amps and NEVER had a desire to use tube. I am perfectly happy with my amps and consider myself a picky guy when it comes to tone ( I am a pedal guy ). I always feel pressure to play tube but I am happy with ss, anyone else in the same boat? I feel like people think I don't know anything about gear because of my amp, it bugs me because I CHOOSE ss.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a solid state player for 15 years because I was cheap. I went tube and I'll never look back. All of the solid state amps (Crates usually) sounded terrible when turned loud. I'm so glad I don't have to play through those anymore.

• Members

i'm recently a tube fan...but i played ss for many years...but once i compared tubes to ss by side by side a/b comparison....no contest...tubes win for warmth/feel/tone...for me anyway...if you're happy with ss then that's great. i still have a peavey xxl solidstate that just recently went head to head (no pun intended) with a marshall tsl 100 watt. I consider the peavey xxl to be the best solidstate on the market IMO but the marshall whooped it's tail...the xxl sounded decent by itself..but sounded thin once the marshall was turned on. i also compared to a 5150 side by side...5150 didn't win by much to my ears...maybe just peavey voicing but i went with a rack setup with tubes and very happy

• Members

Once your on a good ss amp for awile, you get used to it. But when u go to a tube, then you like okay whats the big deal really? Then after wile of playing a tube, you go back to a ss and your like, holy {censored} what was i thinking?? And chances are you wont go back to a SS, unless its a Roland JC-120 for clean sounds.

Kinda like that :thu:

• Members

Once your on a good ss amp for awile, you get used to it. But when u go to a tube, then you like okay whats the big deal really? Then after wile of playing a tube, you go back to a ss and your like, holy {censored} what was i thinking?? And chances are you wont go back to a SS, unless its a Roland JC-120 for clean sounds.

Kinda like that
:thu:

Bull{censored}. :thu:

• Members

Ok, but what if I use differant fuzz pedals for my sound? I am not using overdrive, so does it really matter?

Yes, it matters. You need to stay away from this forum if you insist on playing solid state amps.

kidding. :)

hey, whatever floats your boat. however, I fail to understand how someone would voluntarily play ss over tube amps. IMO, tube amps are a whole different animal and much more responsive and playable than ss amps. You don't really "play" a ss amp. It basically sounds the same pretty much every time you play through it. With a tube amp, you really have to play the thing and work with it to create unique sounds and textures. I don't know if I am making any sense here. I just think tube amps are much more involved and complex. I think it may be time for you to take the jump. I guarantee it will open up a whole new world to your playing. Just make sure you choose the right amp.

• Members

depends what kind of sound you like.. you can get a nice clean tone with SS amps. It's good for really heavy, distorted, compressed, saturated tones.

I have a hard time dialing in good hardrock tones like EVH on a SS amp.

I agree with this as well.

Pull out a {censored}ing badass Randall or Ampeg and it will cut your head off with the brutality. Or a JC120 if you want to smooth things out with some jazz.

But if you want some good ole' rock-n-roll, pull out the marshall.

• Members

Yes, it matters. You need to stay away from this forum if you insist on playing solid state amps.

kidding.
:)

hey, whatever floats your boat. however, I fail to understand how someone would voluntarily play ss over tube amps. IMO, tube amps are a whole different animal and much more responsive and playable than ss amps. You don't really "play" a ss amp. It basically sounds the same pretty much every time you play through it. With a tube amp, you really have to play the thing and work with it to create unique sounds and textures. I don't know if I am making any sense here. I just think tube amps are much more involved and complex. I think it may be time for you to take the jump. I guarantee it will open up a whole new world to your playing. Just make sure you choose the right amp.

Sounds like snob talk to me.

You're making it seem alot more complicated than it really is. I'll agree, tube amps have a different sound and feel to them, but it's not like they open up this whole new world to your playing where all of a sudden unique sounds and texture are coming out of your playing... give me a break with that candy coated bull{censored}. :rolleyes: If you're worth a damn as a player you'll make almost anything sound good and expressive.

When we're talking about good higher quality amps, the differences are subtle...For some people that subtlety is worth the hundreds or even thousands extra, for some it's not.... because 99% of your audience ain't going to notice the difference, or even care for that matter.

• Members

When we're talking about good higher quality amps, the differences are subtle...For some people that subtlety is worth the hundreds or even thousands extra, for some it's not.... because 99% of your audience ain't going to notice the difference, or even care for that matter.

Well, I think they would. I've played live with SS amps and people have complained about how harsh the sound was...

• Members

Well, I think they would. I've played live with SS amps and people have complained about how harsh the sound was...

Yeah, and i've heard tube amps that are harsh as hell too in live situations.

I'm not saying there are no {censored}ty SS amps. There's freakin tons of them. Buy a good one and try again. Get a second opinion on how you dial it in too.

• Members

Yeah, and i've heard tube amps that are harsh as hell too in live situations.

I'm not saying there are no {censored}ty SS amps. There's freakin tons of them. Buy a good one and try again. Get a second opinion on how you dial it in too.

Meh I have an 8100 (apparently one of the best for death metal) and use dial it in close to Chuck's sound but as soon as it gets louder it gets harsher automatically :p

• Members

Sounds like snob talk to me.

If you're worth a damn as a player you'll make almost anything sound good and expressive.

I agree with this aswell.

I sound the exact {censored}ing same through a Budda Superdrive II 80 which is supposed to be one of the finest boutique plexi heads on the market which costs around 2.3k new and a 15 year old Crate GX130C. The crate was more metal though.

• Members

Meh I have an 8100 (apparently one of the best for death metal) and use dial it in close to Chuck's sound but as soon as it gets louder it gets harsher automatically
:p

8100 is alright but there are 4-5 others that come to mind instantly that are better SS heads for death metal.

Archived