Recording to a PC

voodoosmc

• Members

I'm looking for a really good sounding recording setup. I'll be using my PC to do the actual recording. What I'm looking for suggestions for is a really good sounding way to generate the guitar tone. Easy right? Just get a good tube amp and mike it up, would that I could. I'll be living in an apartment soon, a small apartment. So noise and space are issues.

Types of sounds that I'll be looking to record:

1. Blues and Blues Rock - think BB King, Freddie King, SRV, Clapton, Hendrix The White Stripes, The Black Keys - Overdriven fender/vox type of sound and early Marshal

2. Country/Rockabilly - Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Brian Setzer

3. Alt country - Wilco, Drive By Truckers

4. Classic and Hard Rock - Aerosmith, Cream, Led Zepp, Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath and Alice in Chains if possible

Really just a really good ( best in the price range ) sounding recording device ( preamp maybe? Podxt? Tonelab? ). Also I have no need of any speakers and I won't be gigging with this set up at all. I really have very little interest in gigging at this point. That may change but I'm not holding my breath waiting on it. Also I'm not including any effects in this setup, I'll buy separate pedals for that.

Price range $400-600 with up to a $1000 but it would need to be a very large improvement in sound quality to go that high. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2

I have that ( demo version ) and it crashes everytime before it can load. I'll spend a little more time looking in to it. Thanks.

I should note that I really have no idea if a preamp is a workable option after I brought that up in the OP.

Archived