What is the smalles REAL hammond?

minimoog

• Members
look for the most ways to make it less heavy

They did. The last Hammond with a tonewheel generator and metal manuals rolled off the line in 1975. The laws of economics dictate that no one will ever make them again. Unless having one onstage is part of your mystique, like S&TG or Joey DeFrancesco, you should be perfectly well served by a good clonewheel. If you're like lots of us that just really like the total Hammond behemoth wooden console flashing thyratron hot oil and ozone smell experience, get one and leave it at home. The chopped ones are ugly.

• Members

That one's pretty nice, although I'm not too fond of the ironing board legs. I guess I should have said "Compared to the original wooden cabinetry, the chops are ugly". And yes, there are some one-off chops that are quite nifty, and yes, I include yours in that class. Or was that a controller only, without the TG?

• Members

yes, I include yours in that class. Or was that a controller only, without the TG?

My current (almost finished) project is a controller. It will run VB-3 on some yet undetermined micro SBC hardware.

The last actual chop I built was my experimental aluminum modular jobbie.

hammond1.jpg

hammond2.jpg

hammond3.jpg

• Members

People you need to go to the Gym, for me at this moment that wegith is not a problem. Fake B3 sound is a problem .
:)

A good clone through a real Leslie doesn't sound fake. It sounds better than a lot of real Hammonds, which vary a lot, depending on care vs. abuse and other things. Also, at a big venue where a Leslie needs to be miked and fed through the PA, the clones can sound better than a very good Hammond/Leslie. Many big-name acts carry a Ventilator (Leslie simulator) for just that reason.

Regardless, it's usually not just a matter of whether we're in shape. One usually also needs the help of band members to load/unload, and that can be a stopper. I do know one small, slightly buit guy in his 30's who gigs an unchopped B3 & Leslie and does it all himself. He uses a Roll-R-Carry (totally necessary for gigging any non-chopped Hammond) and drives a full-sized van, and has worked out a method.

In any case, unless you've tweaked a good clone, played it through a real Leslie, and compared it to a real Hammond, you have no idea how fake it sounds. Maybe give it a try without already having your mind made up.

Finally, many of us HAVE gigged with the heavy stuff, sonny boy, and we know what we're talking about in that regard. ;)

• Members

A good clone through a real Leslie doesn't sound fake. It sounds better than a lot of real Hammonds, which vary a lot, depending on care vs. abuse and other things. Also, at a big venue where a Leslie needs to be miked and fed through the PA, the clones can sound better than a very good Hammond/Leslie. Many big-name acts carry a Ventilator (Leslie simulator) for just that reason.

Regardless, it's usually not just a matter of whether we're in shape. One usually also needs the help of band members to load/unload, and that can be a stopper. I do know one small, slightly buit guy in his 30's who gigs an unchopped B3 & Leslie and does it all himself. He uses a Roll-R-Carry (totally necessary for gigging any non-chopped Hammond) and drives a full-sized van, and has worked out a method.

In any case, unless you've tweaked a good clone, played it through a real Leslie, and compared it to a real Hammond, you have no idea how fake it sounds. Maybe give it a try without already having your mind made up.

Finally, many of us HAVE gigged with the heavy stuff, sonny boy, and we know what we're talking about in that regard.
;)

I have lissent to many clones Vs a real one for many years , I'm always hopping there will be a one .but no . soo i'm going to chope one ..

• Members

does it have tubes?

i'm sorry man, but the only real difference between the L and the T is tubes. they're almost the same organ.

Yes the L and Porta-B has tubes.

However the Porta-B has all 91 tonewheels wired in, whereas the L doesn't. The reason is the Porta-B has a tab that links the pedal tones to the lower manual.

• Members

However the Porta-B has all 91 tonewheels wired in, whereas the L doesn't. The reason is the Porta-B has a tab that links the pedal tones to the lower manual.

which makes the Porta-B even better than either of them i'll bet.

did that connector on yours between the top and bottom ever give you any gruff?

Archived