Repairing cracked baffle board in an older Mesa 2x12

rog951

• Members

I would imagine it was either cracked or starting to crack before being shipped.

It's possible but I'm going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. At least he seems to be doing and saying all the right things so far.

• Members

what is that bottom speaker then?

it looks like an ev from the front.

some evs didn't have the EV on the dust cone, or anything on the back.

I honestly don't know. The cone and dust cap do look like an EV. The frame looks more like a Celestion though. The magnet is a brownish red and it's huge. As I recall, there's a hole in the middle of the magnet structure. No sticker or markings. My basis for saying it wasn't an EVM12L was that it didn't have the beefy, squarish frame I'm used to seeing. Maybe it's some other EV model? :confused:

• Members

I honestly don't know. The cone and dust cap do look like an EV. The frame looks more like a Celestion though. The magnet is a brownish red and it's huge. As I recall, there's a hole in the middle of the magnet structure. No sticker or markings. My basis for saying it wasn't an EVM12L was that it didn't have the beefy, squarish frame I'm used to seeing. Maybe it's some other EV model?
:confused:

If it has a ridiculously big magnet it's probably an EV.

• Members

If it has a ridiculously big magnet it's probably an EV.

I'm pretty clueless about EV's product line so I guess it's possible. I know what an EVM12L looks like (I've got one in my MarkIII) and I've also owned a Force Series before. The frame/basket is totally unlike either of those. If I get a chance I'll open it up and try to get some pics of the back of the thing. Maybe one of you guys will be able to identify it. :confused:

• Members

Honestly, that'd probably work just fine, but unfortunately I'm too anal to leave it at that!
:cry:

Nah..you should do that! you can fill all the old holes and the cracks, and they'de be covered up by the lip of the speaker. If you were tidy enough about it it'd just look like it was built like that.

• Members

Nah..you should do that! you can fill all the old holes and the cracks, and they'de be covered up by the lip of the speaker. If you were tidy enough about it it'd just look like it was built like that.

Yeah, you're right. I guess it'd be silly to re-drill the repaired areas when there's perfectly good virgin wood areas in between all the cracks!

I still wish someone could give me a slightly less intense alternative to epoxy resin or JB Weld. I've done google searches like crazy and I can't find much. Anybody know what kinda glue they use when they manufacture plywood? Eh, I'll probably just use a 2-part epoxy that's made for wood. Anybody have a favorite/trusted brand???

• Members

is it cracked clean through, or just the top ply chipped out? if it's the top ply chipped out, just brush off the splinters and paint it.

None of the damage on the top baffle is cracked through to the back. I'm pretty sure the bottom one is in a couple places though. It's hard to make an assesment without dis-assembling the dang thing but I'm holding off on that 'til I hear from UPS about the insurance stuff. I'll definitely know more once I pull the grill off and yank that bottom speaker.

Archived