Old Toy keyboard MC-3a Into synth

Tom_richard

• Members

Hey

i have this old MC-3A toy keyboard from the early nineties? that actually sounds cool as a synth, i was wondering if it would be possible to disassemble the keyboard and place it in a homemade casing and if it is possible to change the tiny keys to some regular synth keys, and if so would it cost alot for the extra keys?

I don't know how to do the electrical parts (soldering) myself, but a friend of mine is a decent electrician (computer electrician) that could do it.

Would it be worth the time and money (for the extra keys) it would take?

or is this idea ridiculous?

• Members

Hey

Hey! :wave:

i have this old MC-3A toy keyboard from the early nineties? that actually sounds cool as a synth, i was wondering if it would be possible to disassemble the keyboard and place it in a homemade casing

I don't see why not. You could probably do that with just about anything, given enough time, skill and motivation.

and if it is possible to change the tiny keys to some regular synth keys

MAYBE. It depends on how the keys are wired. The easiest would be to find another keyboard that's wired in the same matrix as the original, but you won't know what that is until you take the old one out and scrutinize it.

and if so would it cost alot for the extra keys?

MAYBE. The biggest problem is finding a source for a new keyboard. You might be better off to salvage another, cheap keyboard from something else.

I don't know how to do the electrical parts (soldering) myself, but a friend of mine is a decent electrician (computer electrician) that could do it.

How convenient! :D

Would it be worth the time and money (for the extra keys) it would take?

That depends entirely on you, but first you have to determine WHAT it will cost.

or is this idea ridiculous?

Yeah. But so what? People do ridiculous things all the time. :D

• Members

Is it this one here? http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/Letron.

Personally, I'd leave it as is (it looks like a cool little keyboard - I wouldn't butcher it), and sample the sounds you like - since it's digital, I don't think you're going to lose much of its "sound personality", and you will have total control over the sounds / be able to use any regular-size keyboard via MIDI etc.

As another option, since it looks like it's based on the famed Commodore 64 SID chip, would be to get a SID Station.

Another option... a Commodore 64 sample set like for example, 8-bit Stylez or 8 Bit Family

Archived