Lowrey organ

koolkat

• Members

Kind of vague here, but there's a Lowrey organ going for $200 dollars at a local "re-store" (sort of a non-profit second hand/drop off store).

I think this is the one; it's very, very similar:

Lowrey3.jpg

I didn't get a chance to play it, but the guy in the store said it works fine. From the youtube demos, they seem not bad, any thoughts; grab it or just kind of steer clear?

• Members

Is it a Lowrey Genie? They didn't have great reputations in the 1970s, although it was better than the dreaded Kimball. I personally never liked their slightly slanted keyboards.

Does it have a detachable pedalboard, or just the cheaper attached one? I would spend an hour or so playing it. For $200, it would at least look nice in your living room.

• Members

Some of those old home organs sounded decent and had some fun features when they were new. My parents had a Wurlitzer theater style with a full pedalboard and built in Leslie, it also had a small "Orbit synthesizer" keyboard as a small third manual as well as an auto rhythm section. Unfortunately as many of these old home organs start to malfunction (as most of them will), it is impossible to get parts for them any longer and you have to become a good electronics technician/repairman and repair them yourself with generic parts. I would not invest any money in one as I don't have the time, desire, or skills to constantly undertake repairs, it's enough keeping what I do have up and running.

Clyde

• Members

I had a Lowry Lincolnwood back in the mid 60's. Bought it used, it was very unreliable, but I was lucky to have a very good organ tech close by.

It had a built in Leslie and auto rhythm (failed almost every time that I turned it on) I finished up donating it to a local church as their Baldwin had gone 'belly up"

Moved away from the area so do not know what happened to the animal.

• Members

Some of those old home organs sounded decent and had some fun features when they were new. My parents had a Wurlitzer theater style with a full pedalboard and built in Leslie, it also had a small "Orbit synthesizer" keyboard as a small third manual as well as an auto rhythm section. Unfortunately as many of these old home organs start to malfunction (as most of them will), it is impossible to get parts for them any longer and you have to become a good electronics technician/repairman and repair them yourself with generic parts. I would not invest any money in one as I don't have the time, desire, or skills to constantly undertake repairs, it's enough keeping what I do have up and running.

Clyde

That was the Wurlitzer 4573, which I played throughout my teen years:

583_4573c.JPG

When I was 12 years old, my folks brought me to the Wurlitzer store in the mall, where they bought that organ for me to replace my Hammond M100. When I was trying it out at the store, the manager heard me playing and offered me a job on the spot. Since you had to be 13 to work in New Jersey, I started work the day after my birthday, and continued working for them for almost 3 years, until my family moved to Florida. They would have me demonstrate organs, and moved me around the different North/Central Jersey malls and stores. I would draw a crowd to hear me play, and the salesmen would sidle up to a potential customer and say "Hey - if this kid can do it, so can you!" Sold a lot of organs for them! I was told that I was the youngest employee ever for Wurlitzer. Funny, I recently found an old paycheck stub from those days. I believe I made $1.75/hr. It bought a lot of comic books!

It was finally donated to Goodwill or somebody when my mom moved from her Florida beachside house about 5 years ago. But I put a TON of hours on that organ.

• Members

That Wurlitzer 4573 was a similar model to the one I was talking about, but not the exact same model. It was already getting hard to find parts and/or techs that could service it in the last half of the '80s. Oddly enough, the twin manual Lowery portable I used in bands in the late '60s was totally reliable. I bought it new in '64 and it was the same as one made by Lowery for Gibson, never had any issues with it up muntil I sold it in the early '70s.

Clyde

• Members

If it has tonewheels, snag it and ask questions later. Garth Hudson made great music with one, and you probably can too, if you can find a Leslie or figure out how to plug it into a Ventilator (Leslie sim, $500).

If it's all electronic, meh.

You can easily tell the tonewheel ones because they have a motor running and you can hear stuff spinning inside when it's on but not being played. Electronic ones just sit there and might have a bit of 60-cycle hum. Older transistor models might have a fan, so make sure you're not confusing a fan with tonewheels. They don't really sound like a fan; other than that I can't quite explain it.

• Members

The company is Pari.E. Italian of course, the same crowd that makes Hamichord and Crumar organs.

The original Pari was making tonewheel organs back in the 70s.

History:

Very interesting, I've never heard of them and have been around Hammonds for many years.

Clyde

• Members

I took my first organ lessons on a Lowrey in the 80's they were nice organs sounded great, and had a real Leslie in them, that is probably like a $10K+ organ in its day but their list prices were unrealistically figured based upon giving you alot for your trade so you didn't feel so bad if it is what I think it is, near the top of Lowrey's line and they sounded great. It will have a nice warm sound and like a real organ with the tremolo and leslie sound, well worth the $200 bucks but not very saleable if you want to sell it after the novelty wears off unless you find someone that wants an organ and not a keyboard. Its mostly old folks that play the old organs now.

Archived