no ... this is not analog ... but listen to it !

tlnet37

• Members

Hi,

This is a new demo of the Alesis Fusion 8hd, a making of "Metronomy - The Look".

All sounds come from this digital workstation, but the synth lead is very expressive I think.

And you, wot do you think of that sound ?

It's here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-cfYUNvu3Y

merry christmas and happy new year 2012 !

regards,

thierry

• Members

Well, it isn't analog but it is in a sense.

The Polymoog sound is an uncompressed sample from the analog original. So what you're hearing is the actual Moog Polymoog, in sample form. That's not a VA sound. In fact, all sounds in that video are samples.

That's one of the strengths of the Fusion - you can play uncompressed samples all day long from its hard drive - and the sound engine comes directly from the Akai S series, so it's very transparent.

Another thing this video shows, is what I've been saying for a while: the Fusion effects are not that bad. I use that reverb all the time, it's a good match for synth sounds. The delays are also particularly good :)

KSS trivia: there are two free uncompressed Polymoog Vox Humana sample sets that Hollow Sun released for the Alesis Fusion. One of them was supplied by our very own forum member and modular builder extraordinaire, Suit & Tie Guy :)

(also, the best Rhodes sample from Hollow Sun for the Fusion, which called the jrhodes, is supplied by forum member learjeff)

• Members

We Fusion fans sit quietly and nod and smile each time one of our colleagues here finds what we have known all along, that the Fusion is an amazing piece of machinery. In fact, if I dared take mine out, my rig would almost be predominately Alesis. I even use a Photon X25!

• Members

Very nice work. I used my trusty headphones [as I always do] and the only problem is panning: everything is centered. I would pan the organ and the synth lead [a little left for one, a little right for the other, with non-equal amounts]. The recording will "breathe" better and sound much more stereophonic:)

Joli travail!

• Members

Oh and by the way, if you use samples like we're saying, the Fusion's polyphony is 272 voices.

Take that, Jupiter 80 and Kronos
:lol:

(I'm by no means implying the Fusion's a better overall keyboard than these, I'm sure it isn't, but as a sampler and synth it totally rocks)

Very ironic.

• Members

In a very trivial sense. Part of the distinction between analog and digital, as it plays out in sampled vs real analog sounds, has to do with how the sounds change in time. If you consider this at all important, one would completely dismiss the notion that this is analog.

Well, it isn't analog but it is in a sense.

The Polymoog sound is an uncompressed sample from the analog original. So what you're hearing is the actual Moog Polymoog, in sample form. That's not a VA sound. In fact, all sounds in that video are samples.

That's one of the strengths of the Fusion - you can play uncompressed samples all day long from its hard drive - and the sound engine comes directly from the Akai S series, so it's very transparent.

Another thing this video shows, is what I've been saying for a while: the Fusion effects are not that bad. I use that reverb all the time, it's a good match for synth sounds. The delays are also particularly good
:)

KSS trivia: there are two free uncompressed Polymoog Vox Humana sample sets that Hollow Sun released for the Alesis Fusion. One of them was supplied by our very own forum member and modular builder extraordinaire, Suit & Tie Guy
:)

(also, the best Rhodes sample from Hollow Sun for the Fusion, which called the jrhodes, is supplied by forum member learjeff)

• Members

I found the Fusion to be a total PITA to use. I suppose that for a budget synth/sampler it can be very useful, but it sure didn't feel like a 'real synth' to me (and I realize that this isn't well defined at all). I did think that the sound quality was pretty good. But I don't think that you can explain the fact that it was a total commercial failure simply on the fact that the original sample sets were lousy.

• Members

I found the Fusion to be a total PITA to use. I suppose that for a budget synth/sampler it can be very useful, but it sure didn't feel like a 'real synth' to me (and I realize that this isn't well defined at all). I did think that the sound quality was pretty good. But I don't think that you can explain the fact that it was a total commercial failure simply on the fact that the original sample sets were lousy.

i'm surprised you had one of these. did you buy it for the synth engines or to add hardware rompling to your setup?

• Members

Well, knowing what I know now, I'm surprised also....but at that time I hadn't really realized that these kind of instruments just didn't get me where I wanted to get to. I suppose at that time I thought that it would be good for playing samples, and for the synth engines, but even in that context, I didn't like working with it.

• Members

I can only speak for myself but when the Fusion first came out, it's appearance totally turned me off, and I think that is largely why it was a commercial failure.

It looked like a toy, not to be taken seriously, added to that the soundsets were pretty bad.

To me, when someone goes into a store to play a keyboard, the sounds are what grab you first. If they are outstanding, one can overlook other things.

That being said, today I think it looks quite cool, and the Hollow Sun soundsets really kick it up a couple of notches.

• Members

Oh yeah it totally sucks as a workstation, for the most part.

They added the audio tracks and never got them to work. They SAID they sync with the MIDI tracks in version 1.24, but that was a lie. They sync when they feel like it, but when you need them most, they don't. Things like that make the sequencer useless for anything but playing around.

But yeah as a cheap sampler/synth with absurd polyphony, it rocks. And as you said, the sound quality is very good.

The fact that it also has a DX7-on-steroids in there is another plus...

• Members

Are those Hollow Sun samples available for everyone or are they in an "Alesis exclusive" format?

These are in Alesis format.

Fear not though - go to the Hollow Sun website, click on Freepacks, and you get your Polymoog Vox Humana and Strings, both are also available for Kontakt.

Tell Steve Howell I sent ya :wave:

http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/freepacks/index.htm

Archived