What company made the first Virtual Analog Synth?

Conbrio

• Members

virtual analogue could the yamaha DX7

the DX7 at the time was promoted as a synth that could do it all...realistic music instrument sounds, synthetic sounds, fx, vocal type and metallic sounding sounds..

as to WHY they created it see above...cost cutting cheaper to manufacture based on software...presets?...implementing more voices...most analogue synth were either monophonic or 5 or 6 voice at most 8 voice [jupiter 8]...the DX7 was 16 voice.

analogue was seen as 'old tried tech from the 70's'...the dx7 coud handle all of that and more...well that's how it was promoted..having a decent piano and organ sound was a big deal back then...and brass...don't for get the brass! also PRESETS were "in"...people wanted a new patch at the push of a button and more to be loaded if they wanted from a cartridge.

• Members

? Workstations and hybrid analog/digital synths don't count.

Yes - I know what you posted.

But did you take into account that the first VA might have been in a workstation?

Just being nit-picky, I know. But you could have asked: "who made that first VA that's not in a workstation, or a hybrid analog/digital. :lol:

• Members

My vote goes with Clavia and the Nord Lead 1. They coined the phrase Virtual analog, and supplemented the experience with tactile controls (knobs and such), as well as using 'modeling' technology to imitate the circuitry and behavior of the older analog gear. This combo helped kick off all the variants from other manufacturers we get to enjoy today.

Korg can be credited somewhat with their Prophecy and Z1 synths, however they were simply referring to it as "physical modeling" rather than virtual analog. There were also the others; Roland Jp8000, Yammie AN1x, Novation, etc. using this "modeling" terminology.

But truly, I think Clavia takes it - the phrase is even silkscreened on the damn instruments!!

• Members

My vote goes with Clavia and the Nord Lead 1. They coined the phrase Virtual analog, and supplemented the experience with tactile controls (knobs and such), as well as using 'modeling' technology to imitate the circuitry and behavior of the older analog gear. This combo helped kick off all the variants from other manufacturers we get to enjoy today.

Korg can be credited somewhat with their Prophecy and Z1 synths, however they were simply referring to it as "physical modeling" rather than virtual analog. There were also the others; Roland Jp8000, Yammie AN1x, Novation, etc. using this "modeling" terminology.

But truly, I think Clavia takes it - the phrase is even silkscreened on the damn instruments!!

That sounds right to me. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Archived