Greenbacks in a JCM 900?

Thrice_removed

• Members

I have a JCM 900 Dual Reverb combo, and was wondering if replacing the stock speaker with a Greenback, would significantly improve the tone - giving it a much more vintage feel. I am thinking of modding it to get rid of the diode clippping noise, but I was also thinking a speaker swap might help the tone a lot. Is it worth it spending the extra $$ to replace the speaker?

• Members

100 Watts, one speaker. Search function is utterly useless unless you search with only one term. And searching "greebacks" does not give me what I would like to know.

I am just afraid that a 100 watt amp would not be good into such a low wattage speaker. I can cut it down to 50 watts, but most say that does not sound as good, and I am still not sure if a single greenback could handle 50 watts.

• Members

Or you could just sell the combo, get a JCM800 and a Greenback loaded 4x12 and really see what the Marshall tone is all about :thu:

I think the JCM900's aren't bad, but the 800 definitely has more of a rawkin' Marshall tone, especially through a quad of Greenies.

Archived