No MIDI signal in Garageband with my keyboard

hurtchow

• Members

I have a Yamaha PSR-280 that I use in garageband to compose drum tracks/record piano tracks/etc... I had been using it for many months until one day it just stopped working. The keyboard is fine and it makes noise and everything but when I plug it into garage band and try to record something there is no MIDI signal.

I took it to a long and mcquade and the guy there couldn't fix it. The only option I've had presented to me is taking it to the manufacturer where I'd be charged $60/hr.

The keyboard is certainly not new and I don't think it's worth it to spend that much money on a repair. I also don't like the idea of buying a new keyboard since the cheapest one I've found so far (after looking for 15 minutes) was $800.

It seems that there is a problem with the midi output. I've plugged other keyboards into my computer and they worked fine. I even used another PSR280 and that worked. This is really frustrating. What would you do? I don't know jack about repairs so I'm stuck over here. Let me know what you think.

• Members

It's PSR to fast track pro to usb.

The Fast Track Pro shows up in finder, and I still use it for recording guitar/mic/bass tracks.

It only seems to be the piano that sits in my apartment and the one in my lesson room at work that don't send information. I tried someone else's PSR280 which was fine as well as some other synth thing at some other store.

It's gotta be the output jack that is damaged or something... The keyboard is kept close to a wall heater in our place, could that be responsible? All the other doo-hickeys work just fine.

Archived