SD Livewire Metal vs. EMG 81

Qlippothic

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have a SD Livewire..its the only active i have..its not bad..

def a phat sound.its the same pickup Jim Martin used in Faith no More.

i use 2 transistor batteries in it..18 volt man.:)

its got a scalloped neck and stock fender bridge with some other tweeks..

• Members

I did this a while back to test the difference.... Short, but you can hear a difference.... Same guitar, same amp, just swapped the PU's out.... Keep in mind that the 85 was hooked up to the Livewire 'schematic', so values of pots etc were not what they should have been. But, I think it shows(at least in terms of high gain rhythm) that these pickups have very similar properties, but at the same time you can hear a subtle difference.

My LW's seem to have a much higher output than the 81/85 also... It isn't a big difference on paper, but the LW Metal pushes the amp alot more than the EMG's, you have to try them to hear what I mean.

Excuse the cheap riff, sloppy playing, bad recording, and failure to tune after swapping the PU..... It's just a comparison anyway.....

EDIT- Yeah I suppose a link would help.... DOh!!! http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=243947

Download it, don't stream it.... SC makes stuff sound like {censored}

• Members

i agree on the livewires having alot more output, but i dont know, to me the 85 just sounded alot better.

I agree. I like the bass response and the high output of the Livewire, but the 85 seems so much tighter.....

My vote goes for EMG's, although the Livewires will always have a home in my baritone.

• Members

the 85 seemed have abit more low mids in that clip, whereas the Livewire seemed abit more upper mids-heavy, at least to my ear... thanks for posting it.

The 85 is alnico V, whereas the 81 is ceramic, right?

85 is Alnico, and the 81 is ceramic/steel

• Members

i have a SD Livewire..its the only active i have..its not bad..

def a phat sound.its the same pickup Jim Martin used in Faith no More.

i use 2 transistor batteries in it..18 volt man.
:)

its got a scalloped neck and stock fender bridge with some other tweeks..

how is that possible? Big Jim left FNM in the mid 90s, after angel dust. Every pic I have ever seen of him we was playing stock flying V's. I may be wrong, but that doesn't add up to me.

• Members

how is that possible? Big Jim left FNM in the mid 90s, after angel dust. Every pic I have ever seen of him we was playing stock flying V's. I may be wrong, but that doesn't add up to me.

because that is what Jim used, he even said so in an interview. im not sure if he used the Livewire Metal, but he used a Duncan Livewire in the bridge of his V :thu: thats what, most likely, got him that crazy crunch on songs like Falling to Pieces and Epic :thu:

Archived