Does Anyone use a their amp + a Poweramp?

Thrice_removed

• Members

It is not too uncommon a thing to see someone running a standalone preamp into the effects loop of an amp. My question is, does anyone use the preamp of their amp with a standalone poweramp? I've never seen this done, and was just curious how certain amps would sound run through a VHT 2150. :love:

• Members

Here's my current studio monkeying around rig: guitar>whatever boost/dist pedal I'm in the mood for>jcm800 2203>hot plate set as load>marshall avt20>1982a cab w/ greenbacks.

That essentially gives me, uh, gotta count - at least 5 different volume controls not counting the pedal up front. That's kinda what you are asking about, but I'm not using a pure poweramp, just using what I've got sitting around.

It works awesome, I get totally saturated ripping tone at literally whisper volumes, and without the metallic crunchy buzz of using the attenuator. It's also extremely tweakable, as I've got several points of eq control, and touching any of the volumes or the line out level really changes the tone quite a bit. Tweakers heaven...

Load boxes are truly sweet, turns the amp into a big distortion box, essentially. Oh, and the amp still feels and responds like it does when totally cranked, the cool compression/saturation and the insane feedback. The feedback is a trip at sub-tv volumes, you don't really expect it.

You can also stick effects just about anywhere in the signal chain, as there are plenty of line level signal points that you wouldn't have using the amps normally. I can run reverb/delay/flange/whatever up front, in the loop of the amp, after the line level of the load box before it gets re-amped, etc.

It's the way to go, if you have the means and can handle all the variables...

• Members

It is not too uncommon a thing to see someone running a standalone preamp into the effects loop of an amp. My question is, does anyone use the preamp of their amp with a standalone poweramp? I've never seen this done, and was just curious how certain amps would sound run through a VHT 2150.
:love:

When required I run my VHT Pitbull into a Peavey 120/120 poweramp

I've blown 2 EV's with that rig:eek:

It's awesome though -way beyond stupid loud - it's demolition loud:D

• Members

Lol - how did you blow the EV's though? I bet it is freakin loud though - but doesn't the Pittbull have a better built in poweramp? I am sure it is not as loud, but isn't higher quality than a Peavey 120/120. Just curious because I have never tried either.

• Members

It is not too uncommon a thing to see someone running a standalone preamp into the effects loop of an amp. My question is, does anyone use the preamp of their amp with a standalone poweramp? I've never seen this done, and was just curious how certain amps would sound run through a VHT 2150.
:love:

Slaving has been done for years. I use a power amp and seperate heads but in a W/D/W setup, not slaving per se'. Though sometimes I'll run my Mojave through a hotplate on load and send that signal to my rig and just run slaved stereo.

• Members

Lol - how did you blow the EV's though? I bet it is freakin loud though - but doesn't the Pittbull have a better built in poweramp? I am sure it is not as loud, but isn't higher quality than a Peavey 120/120. Just curious because I have never tried either.

Mine is 50 Watt so while it has some headroom it doesnt have the depth of tight bass that the 120/120 has.

As for quality true the Peavey can't touch the VHT's own poweramp on one level but on the otherhand the Peavey 120/120 is unlike any of Peaveys poweramps.

The 60/60 and 120 mono poweramps they have are loaded with 6L6 but don't have the presence or resonance features that the 120/120 has (like having 2 x5150 output sections) and are just kinda blah sounding.

Then they make the 50/50 with the presence and resonance controls BUT

instead of 6L6's or EL-34's they put in EL-84's.Now I like EL-84's but they aren't really bass deep (even with 8 of them) and they tend to have high mid emphasis which is where presence controls frequencies usually lay and is true for Peavey presence controls.People say they think this poweramp is good but after owning the whole series of Peavey poweramps I can say they are tone deaf or never had anything to compare it with.No depth and the tone gets thin as the volume goes up and 84's ina class A/B amp don't have the same volume potential.If they had only used 6L6's or 34's..

The 120/120 has not only the right combination of tubes and tone features it can also be said it has the "correct" complimentary components.

Because of this it makes preamps sound CRUSHING.

The way I have my VHT set up with the 120/120 makes it sound like a VHT Deliverance having sex with an ENGL Savage.

Ya it's that {censored}ing good.

The 2 EV's were just killed overtime even though they were paired with other high powered british voiced speakers for a rating over 400 watts the transients killed them slowly in a diseboweling rage.I dont crank the preamp or poweramps bass either.

EV's sound a bit more "hi-fi" than celestions but having better bass response make them the perfect combination in a 4x12.The EV's stay at the bottom

of the cab so you dont hear them as directly but mix thier bass with the barking celestions (I actually perfer Pitbull 100 drivers punchy midrange -eminence made-not the P-50's)

It's a juggernaut rig no need to scoop mids or crank bass.

It's like having an elephant stomp and the drill sargeant from Full Metal Jacket yelling at you at the same time.

The 120/120 is fuggin heavey though and is another reason i wish they made the 50/50 with 6L6's.Most of the time I don't need all that power so it would be nice to have lighter power amp that still has some depth.

• Members

I was thinking about trying this with my fireball a while ago.. Sometimes its still not loud enough.

I could definitely see that for metal. I'd say get one man, Those mesa 2:90s are on ebay ALL THE TIME. ANd in the future you can buy whatever head you want no matter what the power and never have to worry about the amount of power it has. Plus the 2:90s sound awesome :thu:

Archived