Metalheads: What Do You Listen to Aside from Metal?

Introspectre

• Members
Interesting to see the popularity of 80s pop within the metal community here - I think a lot of those bands actually utilised melodic patterns quite similar to those used in metal, as well as the fact that despite appearances, some of them were quite dark in tone.

I've noticed the similarity myself. I've always enjoyed metal-izing those songs. It's good fun. :D ("A Question Of Time", anyone?)

Stuff I like that's not metal: The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Sisters Of Mercy, New Order, Oingo Boingo, Bauhaus, Fields Of The Nephilim, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM (sorta metal...), Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Collide, Delerium, Switchblade Symphony, Devics, The Elysian Fields, Massive Attack, Portishead, Ladytron, The Crystal Method, Juno Reactor, Muse, Porcupine Tree, The Tea Party, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, Gov't Mule, Pink Floyd, The Doors, David Bowie, Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Ani Difranco, Regina Spektor, Tori Amos, Dead Can Dance, King Crimson, Rush, The Cult, AC/DC, and so forth.

And classical music. I'm partial to the romantic period, myself, from Beethoven through Mahler and Richard Strauss; once you get much past that, into Schonberg and whatnot, serialism and atonalism, it sorta dissapears up its own arse as far as I'm concerned. 20th century stuff is hit and miss for me; I do like Stravinsky, Shostokovich and Prokofiev; Bartok's cool, as is some stuff by Vaughn Williams and Britten. Baroque and classical period stuff doesn't really move me; it's too formalized and rigidly structured. But I digress.

• Members

Everything. Hip-hop to indie, punk to funk, big band to classical, downtempo to bluegrass, stoner rock to acid jazz and back again.

Metal is only a fraction of what I listen to. It does, however, end up being the majority of what I play.

• Members

I listen to just about everything besides Country.

I'm a huge underground hip hop fan, i love folk, 80's new wave and pop, ridiculous avant garde post rock (like Godspeed you black emporer), jazz and blues to a certain extent (very few artists i actually enjoy), whatever kids these days are calling Indie music.

And of course lots and lots of metal.

• Members

I think I'll list some genres and some of my fravorites from them :p

Groovey metal (rarely listen to normal metal) - Meshuggah, Bulb, Tesseract, Textures

Prog-metal/Death metal on occasion - Dream Theater, Necrophagist, Nevermore, Zyklon, Cynic, Nile etc etc

Funk/Soul - Tower of Power, Average White Band, etc

Blues/Fusion - Scott Henderson, Jeff Beck etc

Jazz/Fusion - Chick Corea, John Coltrane etc

Electronic/IDM/Drum'n'bass/Acid-jazz - Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Dzhian & Kamien blahblah~

I'll listen to generally anything... Except emo lmfao

• Members

I really don't listen to music (even metal) except when I'm driving. I still enjoy hearing some `70s and`80s stuff every now and then - old U2, INXS, Duran Duran, Boston, Zep, etc. - but metal was the only genre that I ever really cared about. There are some female singers that I will listen to if my wife is playing their stuff, but there isn't much that holds my interest.

• Members

-Early R&B, Motown, Classic Soul... love it.
-80s... all genres from that period.
-Older country (especially the guitarists... Chet Atkins, Larry Carlton, etc.)
-Lots of industrial and gothy stuff (Ministry, Clan of Xymox, KMFDM, etc.)

Come to think of it, I don't really listen to very much metal when compared to everything else...

Archived