Changing the tubes on my C30 for the first time.

RoboCop00

• Members

Long overdue, too (had it about a year and half now). Anyways, I've heard good things about Tungsols and JJ's. If anything, I'm trying to increase the sustain and get a better clean/clean break up sound (I know a new speaker would be better suited for this). Anyone have suggestions?

by the way, should I get my tubes off musiciansfriend or something or is a different website advised?

• Members

Anyone have any ideas about tube selection?

Right now I'm looking at
V1 Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V2 Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V3 Tung Sol 12AX7

(I often play a lot of classic rock/blues stuff with a lot of crunch or OD gain)
I have no idea about the EL84's.

• Members

Dougstubes, has a great reputation as well.

http://dougstubes.com/

I haven't bought from him myself but I know that you can describe to him what it is you are looking for tonewise and he will pull together a full set for you.

I've got a C30 as well that may need some tubes soon, let us know the outcome once you've pulled everything together.

• Members

I bet they are after only a 1 1/2 years of service.

Not in a C30!

My one eats power tubes - with constant use, they last around 6 months for me (Maybe i was running it hard) either way i wasn't complaining EL84 are cheap

• Members

Not in a C30!

My one eats power tubes - with constant use, they last around 6 months for me (Maybe i was running it hard) either way i wasn't complaining EL84 are cheap

Check the bias. Did you test the tubes?

I know several guys with C-30's and since it am the guy who does the amp work for some of them I test tubes all the time and seldom do they need replacing every 6 months, something is wrong.

Archived