Korg Monotribe can Now be MIDI'd!

MuzikB

• Members

modding this machine for MIDI is surprisingly easy, even without the kit - though definitely the kit is a great thing to sell. having those CC'd controls would be really nice.

i'm still enamored with the analog sync though - there's no tempo issues to deal with, and i can step through the pattern with whatever note-length values i choose with an analog sequencer. lately i've been sending the output of the STG Trigger Sequencer into the sync input, letting me select "on" or "off" for each step and really letting me come up with some interesting patterns that i would not have just using the internal sequencer run at a fixed clock rate.

i also discovered that the internal sequencer can be run fast enough via external analog sync to get into some limited audio rate sequencing weirdness. not always useful, but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox.

those that have analog sync capability already know about all this though, and this kit will make those that don't have this capability very happy i think. had they integrated this functionality from the beginning, the device would probably have costed 300 bones but had wider appeal.

now that Minitaur and Minibrute are out, it's difficult to recommend a 350 dollar MIDI kit + Monotribe purchase for the traditional MIDI studio if one intends to sequence the box externally. but the synth on the monotribe sounds VERY good and has a very wide range of sounds, thanks to the flexibility they built in to the LFO. if one can find a second hand Mondotribe (shouldnt be too hard nowadays) and MIDI'd it up it would still be a good deal.

• Members

The kit really is very cool and very pro. It reminds of the Gray Matter E for the DX7. Clean, needed, and should of been there in the first place.

Yeah. I don't know what the hell is going on in Korg land in Japan to keep making these dinky little boxes without MIDI. Why don't they make a proper analog synth already or better yet, and analog synth with digital drums Electribe?

• Members

it's pretty good if you already have a monotribe...finally a cheap and simple way to make it playable from a keyboard or DAW.

very good to see someone uncrippling the monotribe from that ribbon..korg..please please step up and make an analogue synth with either midi or a keyboard...this year before your well and truly left behind this resurgent wave you helped to start...

Archived