Why does my tone suck?

Dr. T

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty sure they already come with Vin30s.

I had a YCV40WR. 10 watts less, but I definitely had to crank it up a LOT to keep up with the band.

However, the YCV50 blue is what piqued my interest in the Traynors. The characteristics of the overdrive don't sound at all like what was going on with your amp, or with the first amp I heard.

eurotubes.com makes a retube kit especially for your amp. There are actually three different ones: standard, blues, metal. I got the standard, and while I lost some characteristics i liked (I blame the JJ ecc83s), it's still retained it's punchy marshallesque quality I liked.

I think your problem lies within the tubes, bro. Go with a full retube, then take it from there. It's an affordable solution and quite preferable over selling it. And as a person that owned a Traynor YCV series for 6 months, I don't think it's the amp.

-Trey

• Members

Just note I make no claims of being a good guitarist, I'm far from it.

This is part of the problem. Not bagging on you, but tone is in the fingers a lot more than some folks are willing to admit.

Just listened to the clip and that sounds like it's your amp that is fizzy. I know the bad monkey does not fizz out like that and the Hwy 1 strat probably comes with decent pups in it.

I honestly think you'll just be wasting time and money throwing tubes, speakers etc. at the amp. Sell it and get something you like.

• Members

oh yeah, though it doesn't matter much, my recording setup isn't great. behringer mixer + samson q-mic plugged straight into my Macbook Pro.

And yeah, I know tone is in the fingers, but there are certain characteristics that come straight from the gear, no doubt.

• Members

Just listened to the clip and that sounds like it's your amp that is fizzy. I know the bad monkey does not fizz out like that and the Hwy 1 strat probably comes with decent pups in it.

I honestly think you'll just be wasting time and money throwing tubes, speakers etc. at the amp. Sell it and get something you like.

:wave:

• Members

you edited after I posted.

I know. I just wanted to make sure you saw the second part of my response. The first reply was typed before listening to your clip. After hearing it, I understand what you mean. It's the amp dude. You have a good speaker in it and I don't think that changing out tubes is gonna get rid of that fizziness. It's probably just a characteristic of that amp.

• Members

hmm, well {censored}. so the search goes on. ah, I have no idea what I want.

What style of music do you mostly play? What's more important, a good clean or a good dirty channel? What's your price range?

We could make a few suggestions with answers to these questions.

• Members

Blues, a little hard rock. I think a good dirty channel is better, just because they're so much harder to come by it seems.

My price range is probably under 600, and I would prefer to keep at a 1x12 combo or smaller.

• Members

Blues, a little hard rock. I think a good dirty channel is better, just because they're so much harder to come by it seems.

My price range is probably under 600, and I would prefer to keep at a 1x12 combo or smaller.

Peavey Classic 30 or 50. Those are kick ass blues/hard rock amps.

• Members

If I am not mistaken your amp has a master vol right? Crank that puppy to 10 and dial in some low-med gain. if you havent already and see what you get. You've got no power tube saturation going on. I think thats the sound your after based on you style, lots of power tube sat.
If you had the master cranked already, then I think there is something wrong with the amp internally...get it checked if thats the case.

• Members

If I am not mistaken your amp has a master vol right? Crank that puppy to 10 and dial in some low-med gain. if you havent already and see what you get. You've got no power tube saturation going on. I think thats the sound your after based on you style, lots of power tube sat.

If you had the master cranked already, then I think there is something wrong with the amp internally...get it checked if thats the case.

I've never tried this before, and it actually sounds a bit better. I was always under the impression that I need to crank the channel volume and then control it with the master.

• Members

I guess my thing is - I really want a SRV-esque lead sound. Like his solo in Voodoo Chile - that's my dream tone. For rhythm sounds I want a Marshall JCM type sound (I know, not too specific) - but my amp just does not sound that tight.

Also, as for the headroom, I really like pushing the clean channel on tube amps, but my Traynor just sounds really, and I mean really harsh for some reason (when it breaks up that is).

I'm going to try and post some clips tomorrow, so you all can better assess my problem (if there is one, it might all be in my head...)

Not sure if anyone made this suggestion yet but if you're going after Stevie Ray tone, I'd get rid that monkey pedal and pick up a high quality tube screamer type pedal for starters. The modded ones by Analogman and Keely are great but pricey, same with the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, but they are worth it. Then maybe ditch that amp and go with something a little more "Fender-ish", or a JTM45 style Marshall type amp. As for getting JCM800 type sounds out of the same amp, you'll be challenged to say the least, but there is probably a pedal out there that will get you in the ballpark.

• Members

Peavey Classic 30 or 50. Those are kick ass blues/hard rock amps.

I just so this post after I posted my other reply- I agree the Classic 30 and 50 are good suggestions. Check the gear classified board on this site- you might be able to find a Classic 30 for peanuts and then have cash left over to pickup the right pedal- all for under the $600 level.

• Members

I've never tried this before, and it actually sounds a bit better. I was always under the impression that I need to crank the channel volume and then control it with the master.

Thats what you what..power tube saturation, and thats controlled by the master volume. Its not for someone looking for a "metal sound" but for you its a starting point. Push the front some more with a tube screamer. 808,ts9

even your monkey should do the trick. With the Strat you may have to dial down the treble ,pick up the mids and up the bass a little more. Use that neck pup too.

You've got the setup. Just take the time dial it in.

Archived