Good keyboard amp

x-ray specs

• Members

I have noticed that they do not, they stay smooth and beefy. The piezo tweeter is decent as well. I would not call the tone stellar though.

My KC-550 on the other hand, cracks and poops out on both the low and high end, but sounds better at lower volumes; hence the need for 2 of them for the minimal amount of needed volume to keep up on a loud stage.

Thanks.

• Members

I don't know if you can buy them in the US, but I'm very happy with a pair of LD Systems Stinger 10A. They're self-powered 10"/1" speakers and feature a mic input, a line input and a line output for the combined input signals (all in XLR). They sound pretty nice and as a pair they're even a good substitute for my Leslie cabinet. No serious lack of bass! They're around

• Members
I don't know if you can buy them in the US, but I'm very happy with a pair of LD Systems Stinger 10A. They're self-powered 10"/1" speakers and feature a mic input, a line input and a line output for the combined input signals (all in XLR). They sound pretty nice and as a pair they're even a good substitute for my Leslie cabinet. No serious lack of bass! They're around

• Members

Everybody seems to be recommending things way over $500 and that's ok, so I'll know what's really good, but is there anything under $500 that's still worth it?

I have found over the years that it is often better for me to stretch my budget a little when shopping for new gear. If I set a hard price point and don't consider anything above that point, then I run the risk of purchasing gear that works "for the time being" and I end up having to shell out yet more hard earned cash in a few months to replace what I bought. And considering that synhts and music gear seem to lose value quicker than almost anything on the planet, I can't get much for the old gear to help defray the cost of new gear. If my original budget is $500, then I need to also look in the $500-$700 range to make sure I'm getting what I really need for the long haul. After several penny pinching budget shopping trips many years ago and learning the hard way, I now shop more by what meets my wants and needs and I'll figure out how to get my budget to that point.

Clyde

• Members

I have found over the years that it is often better for me to stretch my budget a little when shopping for new gear. If I set a hard price point and don't consider anything above that point, then I run the risk of purchasing gear that works "for the time being" and I end up having to shell out yet more hard earned cash in a few months to replace what I bought. And considering that synhts and music gear seem to lose value quicker than almost anything on the planet, I can't get much for the old gear to help defray the cost of new gear. If my original budget is $500, then I need to also look in the $500-$700 range to make sure I'm getting what I really need for the long haul. After several penny pinching budget shopping trips many years ago and learning the hard way, I now shop more by what meets my wants and needs and I'll figure out how to get my budget to that point.

Clyde

^^^ This is definitely a lesson that every musician needs to learn early in the came! It definitely saves alot of missteps. The trickiest part is learning to discern what your real needs are - and keeping any unbridled wants in check so that you don't have 'em driving your budget needs through the roof!

• Members

^^^ This is definitely a lesson that every musician needs to learn early in the came! It definitely saves alot of missteps. The trickiest part is learning to discern what your
real
needs are - and keeping any unbridled
wants
in check so that you don't have 'em driving your budget needs through the roof!

amen, brothers... I've learned this lesson the hard way over the yrs. myself.

But now I try to adhere to the philsophy, "Buy once, cry once" :cry:

ie, spend the money up front and buy good stuff (doesn't have to be top of the line but good) & move on. :cool:

• Members

I'm looking for info on which keyboard amps are better sounding (can handle highs and lows good), don't cost over $500, and can still keep up with a fairly loud drummer.

Also, I don't want to break my back trying to carry the thing, so would be great if it was around 30 - 40 lbs or so at the most. Not sure if that would still be able to keep up with the drummer though.

I hear a lot of comparisons between amps like the Peavey KBs and Rolands KCs or similar amps, but often one review will say the former can't handle lows and is muddy or vice versa, so I would like to get some more objective and well informed opinions on which of these keyboard amps can handle highs and lows well at high volumes (without a low end extension cab) and which makes overall better keyboard amps.

Any other recommendations would be welcome such as possibly using a lighter weight PA speaker as an amp (powered or unpowered with a separate amp) and the benefits and drawbacks of either.

Thanks very much for your time and advice.

Best keyboard amp is no keyboard amp...

Though some keyboard amps are really excellent at making super saw sounds. The Roland KC-550 in particular.

Archived