A Dr Who History of Electronic Music

• Members

Spin off from another thread...

The first Dr Who theme was made by the BBC Electronic Workshop in 1963. I wasn't really paying attention much before the late sixties, but even as a kid I thought that this was music unlike any I'd ever heard.

Someone's compiled all the versions of the theme - 1963 to the present - into one video. And it represents, I think, a pretty good potted history of the capabilities and popular use of synthesizers.

[video=youtube;VkcHgI_TIYQ]

Me, I think that the best version was the late sixties one - but then, I would, wouldn't I? I have an argument for that though....

I remember a documentary , in which a kid said, "It's the only tune you can't whistle." Over the years, they've made it more and more whistleable, in a Star Wars kinda way, which I think is a mistake.

• Members

They list "Ron Grainer" for the first two themes whereas any half-wit knows that the Dr Who theme was originally recorded by Delia Derbyshire. Ron Grainer composed it, and it took Delia's skill with 1963 electronic equipment to make something that was, I think at that time, unique.

They list the people who re-recorded the later versions of the theme which means whoever compiled this video needs a re-education, starting with:

http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/

• Members

They list "Ron Grainer" for the first two themes whereas any half-wit knows that the Dr Who theme was originally recorded by Delia Derbyshire. Ron Grainer composed it, and it took Delia's skill with 1963 electronic equipment to make something that was, I think at that time, unique.

They list the people who re-recorded the later versions of the theme which means whoever compiled this video needs a re-education, starting with:

I'll take your word for it - because, half-wit that I am, I didn't know. But as a historical document, I think it's fascinating.

• Members

I liked all the early ones through Tom Baker. I liked Pertwee a lot. Fabulous wardrobe. My favorite later Dr. Who is Colin Baker, though he didn't last long. My least-favorite was Sylvester McCoy.

I think David Tennant did a very good job. I haven't seen the new one.

I was drawn to this thread not because I'm a Dr. Who fan. I was hoping someone would post a photo of Rose Tyler's incredible butt. I can't find one. But my favorite David Tennant episodes all involved Rose Tyler's butt.

Rose-Tyler-Hecklerspray.com_.jpg

• Members

Peter Howell's version of the theme is my all time favourite. I think Delia Derbyshire had said that Peter Howell's version of her original arrangement was the only one she liked. I liked Dominic Glynn's Trial of a Timelord version.

I see one mistake on that video. The video uploader claims that David Arnold arranged the theme tune in 2005 for Christopher Eccleston when in fact it was Murray Gold.

• Members

Personally, while I did watch Dr Who 'back in the day' and was one of those cowering behind the couch at the Daleks, I personally prefer the theme tune from Tenants show. It has a far more musical quality to it. the earlier ones seemed somewhat out of time (no pun intended) and the latest one seems far too Hollywood, but then, this is what personal preference is all about.

What I think is more impressive, and not considered yet is that, despite the changes in composer and technology, you could play that tune to anyone at any time and they would say "Dr Who"! It's been changed, but it's still essentially the same in a weird sort of way.

This show has had an enduring quality, and I have to hand it to 'Auntie' for continuing to bring it back, and, doing so in a format that is as good, if not better than before!

And yes, there are some Rose Tyler scenes that are certainly worth remembering too! Thankfully though, the show is less about the T&A and more about the stories.

• Members

Agreed. I read somewhere that he bascially came to her and vaguely described whooshing sounds evoking clouds that he wanted for the theme music and that she set to work.

This from Wikipedia: 'When Grainer first heard it, he was so amazed by her rendering of his theme that he asked "Did I really write this?" to which Derbyshire replied "Most of it". He attempted to get her a co-composer credit but the attempt was prevented by the BBC bureaucracy, who then preferred to keep the members of the Workshop anonymous.' BBC Workshop people were considered to be technicians, not composers. They also do not include that there was a certain reluctance on the part of the BBC to give women credit, as well.

• Members

I hate what Russell Davies did to the series and thought that whole "soap opera" that revolved around Rose Tyler and her mother and her boyfriend destroyed the atmosphere of Doctor Who, no matter how good Eccelston or Tennant might have been otherwise. Even Daleks couldn't save it for me!

• Members

I liked all the early ones through Tom Baker. I liked Pertwee a lot. Fabulous wardrobe. My favorite later Dr. Who is Colin Baker, though he didn't last long. My least-favorite was Sylvester McCoy.

I think David Tennant did a very good job. I haven't seen the new one.

I was drawn to this thread not because I'm a Dr. Who fan. I was hoping someone would post a photo of Rose Tyler's incredible butt. I can't find one. But my favorite David Tennant episodes all involved Rose Tyler's butt.

This is an incredibly sexist post - it includes the real names of several actors who played Dr. Who, but that of the actress who played Rose Tyler is omitted. I believe you were referring to Billie Piper's butt. That should aid anyone wanting to do a proper Google Images search.

:cop:;)

Just to be somewhat on topic, here's a wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radiophonic_Workshop

Archived