FRAMUS COBRA MODS.....

Kyle DiSanto

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's kinda hard to say now, i've had them in there for so long

i remember it sounding tighter, but more open at the same time (altho not by much) a little smoother and less fizzy when i put the ruby's in...but i've had them for over a year now, so it's hard to recall just what it was like with the JJ's

• Members

ok guys...i sent trace the schematic and some gut shots (of both the v1 and v2 versions) and swapped e mails with him for a few days to get some things figured out...

being that the switch is wired in via flying leads, the mod can be done no problem

their minimum mod order for amps shipped in is $150; a toggle switch mod like the one we're talking about (for just one channel/single switch) is gonna run $50-70...since their minimum order is $150 tho, that would leave another $80-100 after the initial mod you'd have to spend; so if you wanted some other type of mod, new tubes, etc. you could put the rest of the cash toward those things

i hope i'm making sense here, i tried to explain what trace and i talked about as best i can...if you have any questions past this, it's probably better to contact him

sometime in may or early june, my cobra is being shipped up to voodoo for a notch switch mod tho :D

• Members

Mike...That sounds great! I have to take a trip up there one day to get all this done!

Mood - yeah... all mods= + shipping both ways...so yeah, look to spend 100 or so on shipping alone.

{censored}, it would cost me 100 in cash money just to get there and back lol, but hey, if it is a feasible idea, its worth it.

• Members

{censored}, it would cost me 100 in cash money just to get there and back lol, but hey, if it is a feasible idea, its worth it.

If you want to drive in then we can experiment with various things with regards to the switch, tweak the gain if you like, etc while you play on the amp. This way you will have exactly what you want when you leave and it does not cost extra for us to tweak the amp in person for you. If you are driving in then there is no shop-minimum.

Have a great day

Trace

• Members

what mod exactly? ... Ch2 ->
norm - notch - Ch3
or
norm - Ch3

is that $150 + shipping both ways?

basically all of the stock sounds will be available except channel 2 with the notch engaged, since that tone is more or less useless to me i want the notch feature on that channel replaced with a low-mid boost

$150 + shipping is a good bit, but that lets you do more than just that particular mod (i'm gonna get new tubes etc. on mine, but you could put that money toward an fx loop mod or something similar also since you have to spend $150)

i'm actually gonna ship mine to trace, and then pick it up in person as i'm visiting NY this summer anyhow

• Members

basically all of the stock sounds will be available
except
channel 2 with the notch engaged, since that tone is more or less useless to me i want the notch feature on that channel replaced with a low-mid boost

$150 + shipping is a good bit, but that lets you do more than just that particular mod (i'm gonna get new tubes etc. on mine, but you could put that money toward an fx loop mod or something similar also since you have to spend $150)

i'm actually gonna ship mine to trace, and then pick it up in person as i'm visiting NY this summer anyhow

We definitly have to meet up while ur up here mike!

• Members

So did anyone find anything out about a mid voicing mod. Possibly making the notch switch more usable. I guess the mod that we know now thats posible is guitarmans gain mod with a on off switch?

As the switch is not PCB mounted (from the pics I was sent) you can do a wide variety of things with it, including tailoring the mids. While it would most likely require enlarging the hole you could also put in a 5 position rotary switch and you could them select between 5 different midrange voicings. That is only one idea and there are several things you can do but naturally it depends on what you want to achieve over all.

Have a great Thursday

Trace

Archived