Miniak or Microstation??- Or something else?

• Members

Do the prices sound fair the ones I listed, still like to see some reviews for the Casio but only hesitant because the x50 is quite old.

The prices seem about right. I think the X50 goes for about $500 USD used, which is about the price of a new microSTATION. If I remember correctly, the Korg microX was the smaller version of the X50, so if you can probably dig up some reviews and videos of the microX which will give you more detail and examples of what sound engine has to offer. There's probably more info and videos out there about microX since it was significantly cheaper.

• Members

The prices seem about right. I think the X50 goes for about $500 USD used, which is about the price of a new microSTATION. If I remember correctly, the Korg microX was the smaller version of the X50, so if you can probably dig up some reviews and videos of the microX which will give you more detail and examples of what sound engine has to offer. There's probably more info and videos out there about microX since it was significantly cheaper.

The Micro X blows the Microstation away. The soundset on the Microstation is about as vanilla as they come. It has alot of everything, just none of it very exciting. Is it a good value for $399 ... absolutely. Is it the best thing since sliced bread...absolutely no. A rather limited workstation stuck trapped in a tiny body with dreadful mini keys (it's not even battery powered???) with most of it's prime editing functions buried beneath menu after menu option, like a never ending staircase (unless you have a PC and the editor). Don't get me wrong the navigation on the M-X isn't tremendously better... but it isn't a complete departure from all Korgs workstation related. I'm not sure how sales have been but my guess it dropped from $599-399 because they weren't selling so well. I wouldn't consider the M-station a replacement for any workstation or rompler, unless it was the only thing I could find in my budget. I see used Tritons all of the time at $400-500. Depending on condition I think they would prove more useful over time.

I find the soundset of the Microstation to be it's weakest offering. Certainly the piano is better than in Tritons past but that remains the only significant improvement. The M-station actually shares more than a handful of patches from the Triton's rom... and anything new just doesn't seem to have been either well thought out or that inspiring Categories like Lead, Fast even Pads offer little in variety or modern dance track application. Big Pad is nice... Old Analog is from the older Tritons. The Fat saw leads fizz without any real grit. I know... presets are made to be overwritten... but here's the rub.... you are bound to the editor unless you want to play up/down/across pushbutton crossword. It's not a pleasure to edit. Trust me the Micro-X with enhanced soundset rom (it's different than the X50) SLAYS the M-station in this department. I guess from a newbie to Korg perspective, some of the programs and combi's might seem fresh. But as someone who's owned nearly every workstation oriented synth from them since the O1W it's pretty weak tea. I picked it up to sit on a small desk and as a quick grab and go for rehearsal. I don't hate it... but immediately I regretted paying $599 for it. I see Korg has reduced it toward reasonable levels... but honestly if you want a quick grab and go synth, with workstation features and a more inspiring sound set the Micro-X is the ticket! I see them used for $350 all of the time.

• Members

Ok thanks for the help guys, I pretty much thought about it long and hard.

I want a keyboard which offers good solid piano/electronic piano sounds - my current understanding of decent piano sound is Reason so don't laugh. I don't care much for Synths since I have Massive so sonically I be using that for synths for bass but any keyboard that has a decent selection would be a bonus.

The micro-X is too small, I don't want to buy a external keyboard on top to get the full capabilities.

At the moment, my top wish list is the new Casio XW which seems like a sonic workhorse, more expensive than I want to spend, X50 and lastly the microstation.

• Members

At the moment, my top wish list is the new Casio XW which seems like a sonic workhorse, more expensive than I want to spend, X50 and lastly the microstation.

I picked up an XW-P1 recently, but it doesn't really fill any need for me. I want to play around with it a little more, but I am going to sell it shortly. Unfortunately, it looks like you're not in in the U.S. so I can't really help you out there in terms of finding a cheaper one! I'm keeping my Microstation, though. At its tiny size, it's just been a really convenient knockaround board to have around. The Casio has the edge in synth functions, and it's cool that it has a drawbar organ mode, but the Korg has the edge in tininess and rompler sounds. They really are entirely different. But based on the other boards I have as well, the Korg has a niche for me, and the Casio doesn't quite fit in anywhere. If its non-synth sounds had been stronger, I'd be more inclined to keep it.

• Members

I picked up an XW-P1 recently, but it doesn't really fill any need for me. I want to play around with it a little more, but I am going to sell it shortly.

So it's just not working for you then.

How about the sequencer? Is it as easy to use as the demos are showing? Are the Hex Layer sounds good?

• Members

How about the sequencer? Is it as easy to use as the demos are showing? Are the Hex Layer sounds good?

I've never used a sequencer on any boards, I don't have need for it. Though if I did, from those demos, it does look like Casio's would be a fun one to play with.

I haven't really looked at the hex layers yet. I've only used the board for about 10 minutes. ;-) Really, once I saw that the piano, EP, and organ sounds weren't usable for my purposes, it became less interesting, even though the board does seem to have a lot of fun stuff in it which I'd like to play with some before selling it.

• Members

I would like to have a microstation and use it for 2 things.

A tone module and the sequencer.

I would midi it up to a controller that has full size keys. And, I would like to use the sequencer even thought I have software. Just to get a break from the computer every now and then.

• Members

Certainly the piano is better than in Tritons past but that remains the only significant improvement. .

This kind of blows me away. I board that is tiny and under$300 used with a better piano than a Triton....

Archived