Mullard EL34 Re-Issue & Harma EL34 Retro

Megadeth Man

• Members

Isn't "gain" irrelevant in terms of power tubes? Gain is determined in the pre-amp stage, isn't it?
:confused:

Set me straight if I'm off the mark here, but I always thought gain was how strong the input signal is...

All I know is that I've tried some power tubes that overdrive easily and some with so much headroom they took the life out of the circuit. The JJ E34Ls were those tubes.

• Members

Isn't "gain" irrelevant in terms of power tubes? Gain is determined in the pre-amp stage, isn't it?

Set me straight if I'm off the mark here, but I always thought gain was how strong the input signal is...

Gain is, basically, how much an amplifier amplifies a signal. The pre-amp has gain, the power amp has gain and the system, as a whole, has gain.

Most people, when referring to gain, usually just mean the pre-amp gain though.

• Members

Vintage vibe? Electro Harmonix (seriously) gets close, warts and all.

SED winged "C" are good for "enhanced" vintage type tones-good all 'rounder!

Siemans, and Tesla NOS-still affordable, and will outlast new production x2-5 times.

Whatcha looking to do, and what's your rig like?

Helps.....

• Members

Thanks for the identification. Yeah, they're just selected valves, I wasn't sure what.

Thats not an EL34B...the EL34B glass is wider then the base. Its a big bottle design. It also doesn't have a nipple like that one. That Harma is an Electro Harmonix EL34.

And gain and amounts of distortion have nothing to do with powertubes. Headroom is the only deciding factor (besides tonal differences). The E34L has the most headroom of any current production EL34. JJ claims its 20% more, but I don't know for sure.

I like the EL34B's. Well balanced high quality tube. And for 21 bucks you can't beat them. (if you buy them unlabeled...GT and Ruby relabel them and sell them for 40 bucks.)

• Members

Thats not an EL34B...the EL34B glass is wider then the base. Its a big bottle design. It also doesn't have a nipple like that one. That Harma is an Electro Harmonix EL34.

And gain and amounts of distortion have nothing to do with powertubes. Headroom is the only deciding factor (besides tonal differences). The E34L has the most headroom of any current production EL34. JJ claims its 20% more, but I don't know for sure.

I like the EL34B's. Well balanced high quality tube. And for 21 bucks you can't beat them. (if you buy them unlabeled...GT and Ruby relabel them and sell them for 40 bucks.)

I didn't say its a "B". I have some chinese "non-B" looking like this Harma. And (to me) EHs do look slim.

• Members

Gain when used to mean "Distortion" is a misnoma. Gain is simply the ration of input signal to output signal and nothing to do with how much or when it clips. Thats why we talk of power amp distortion - not PA Gain in these situations.

Its also why pre tubes with a high gain, may not sound how you want - they may take a long time to clip, so actually give more clean headroom! What you need for lots of distortion are tubes that clip early regardless of their gain, and in both pre and power tubes.

The GAIN setting on an amp is just that - it increases the op signal in relation to the IP (i.e. amplifies the ip signal more) - the fact that it clips - and when - is just a bi-product of the valves and gain circuit.

• Members

I didn't say its a "B". I have some chinese "non-B" looking like this Harma. And (to me) EHs do look slim.

The EL34BSTR and the EL34B are the same exact tube. At least now they are. I think a year or 2 ago the Sino China plant combined with Shuagang and now they're making the same tube. Thats just what I've read and been told by tube dealers.

That picture he has is an Electro Harmonix though. If you read that waterford article that the guy linked too 3 or 4 posts up they have the exact same picture for there Electro Harmonix Retro.

Archived