best delay pedal for high gain shred leads?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Can you please explain to me how that works? I want to add delay to my lead tone, but I already turn on an eq set to a volume boost and I'd really like to avoid tap dancing. I would love a delay that adds some volume too.

+1000:cool:

• Members

I have a DL-4 and it works great in the loop of my Powerball, but then again, ENGLs have superb loop systems.

The main criteria I wanted in a delay pedal were:

1. wide range of delay times

2. Tone control (because having too many highs will muddy up your sound. I wanted to take out some highs so the delay would sound closer to a really clean reverb)

3. Good Mix control

I liked the Boss DD-20, but it didn't have a few features that I considered really important. It had a tone control to lower the highs (but the Line 6 DL-4 usually had treble and bass controls), but the one thing that killed the purchase for me was the lack of ability to kill the dry signal.

With the DD-20, it's impossible to have just the delay sound configured in stereo. The Level knob doesn't control the mix, it just controls the delay level. With a proper "mix" knob, the knob blends between the delay signal and the dry signal, so with the knob all the way left, you just hear the dry signal, and with the knob all the way right, you only hear the delayed signal. The DD-20 level knob always has the dry signal at 100%, and only controls the delay signal volume, so that even with the knob turned all the way to the right, the delay is just as loud as the dry signal.

This is bad for expandability. If you ever wanted to go wet/dry/wet, you couldn't do it with the DD-20.

I got the DL-4 over the DD-20 because it had lots more features, and sounded just as good.

• Members

Can you please explain to me how that works? I want to add delay to my lead tone, but I already turn on an eq set to a volume boost and I'd really like to avoid tap dancing. I would love a delay that adds some volume too.

Sure! Just so you know, I am generally using pedals run into a tube power amp for my live rig, so I am simply stomping the Boss on leads. However, I have used the DD-2 and DD-3 with rack preamps and head effects loops as well, but you may need to do some tweaking if you're using an effects loop. I tried the settings below when running the pedal in a Peavey XXL or 5150 loop with great results, but it didn't sound nearly as good in a VTM-60 or Mesa Rect-o-Verb loop. As always, your mileage may vary.

I set all three knobs to around 1 o'clock, give or take a little bit. I find that with those settings, delayed notes will be slightly louder than the original on the first repeat, but the "D. Time" setting isn't so drastic that you're getting a loud volume swell long after you play the first note. I had that problem on some other delays, but the Boss pedals have always been consistent for me. I usually run in 800ms mode. It's a very natural sounding boost, not an overpowering or abrupt change in tone.

Obviously you'd want to adjust settings to suit your tastes, but I have always loved the lead tone on Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" album, and either Adrian or Dave (or both?) used a DD-2 on that. The DD-3 is virtually the same. So, with the DD-3 set to 1 o'clock across the board and in 800ms mode, I can get my ideal amount of delay with a subtle volume boost. The key word is "subtle" though, because if you need a major boost, you'll still need something else.

Archived