current verses old electribes? anyone have both at the same time that could compare?

• Members

anyone have BOTH the korg emx-1 and older er1/ea1 electribes to compare?

just wondering if selling my ea 1 and er1 and getting the emx1 blue one would be a good decision...

i'd use it for a primative drum machine, and for noisey synth fills or ambient background stuff

so if you owned old and new electribes, was there an upgrade in sound, options, interface???

• Members

You can't manipulate the drum sounds on the EMX in the same way as the ER-1 because the sounds are sampled rather than synthesized.

As far as the synth features of the EA-1, the EMX-1 is much more flexible with many more waveforms and multiple filter types.

If the drums are your main concern, you might want to keep the ER-1.

• Members

They're different. The ER-1 is more of a simplified drum synthesizer, while the EMX-1 is a 9 part drum sample playback machine (with 5 part mono-synth and effects).

The ER-1 has a sort of proto-techno sound to it (very 80s), though it really shines when you run it through a Kaoss Pad or some other outboard effects. For what you can sell the ER-1 for ($80-$100), I'd just keep it.

I also like the EA-1 as it is. There is more overlap between the EA and the EMX in this case, but it's still a nice little box.

[video=youtube;3dy0akX6zqk]

• Members

In looking again at your original question, I'll add that the EMX-1 is simply a MUCH more advanced unit overall, with a LOT of different synthesis models (Korg's adaptation of their MMT synthesis used in other synths), with many more wave shape options and filter types, greater polyphony, backlit LCD display, tube distortion (which honestly I don't use all that much), and much more durable construction.

If you're saying you would need the revenue from the sale of your ER and EA to get the EMX, it's definitely worth it. I'm actually amazed that the EMX sells for around $275-$350 used.

• Members

I could get the emx1 for $190, which seems like a decent deal so the overlap on me with my ea1 & er1 for simple beats and noisey knob tweaking seems worth it to sell both and get the emx1.

do the drum samples on the emx1 (or the red sampler one esx?) sound more rock/heavy than the er1? I know it is not the primary purpose, but if the emx1 had a more real rock snare and floor tom sound without outboard effects helping it, that would be the clincher for my limited needs

• Members

kinda looking at more of a 1 unit to mostly cover a few bases as decent as possible than getting a bunch of different units. I just know that on the er-1 the snare sounds are decent enough, but if the emx1's are even a bit boomy/snappier then that is great for me

• Members

The unfortunate thing about EMX is all drum sounds are sampled (and don't really sound great or particularly inspired but you may feel differently)... The alternative synthesis methods are for the monosynth parts Korg should have just forgotten about *you can, of course, make synthesized percussion sounds but the limited interface isn't really setup that way imo) ... I sold my EMX before the ER-1 ... Maschine is what I use now ...

Archived