Audio Engineering and the bad economy.

MuzikB

• Members

I can't believe that I'm actually considering to sell my 4th Nord Lead 2x.

ImpOSCar 2 and the KLC Polysix have taken over its' duties. The school has me getting at better tools for mixing music rather than a wealth of sound sources and my use of Iris is putting Kontakt and the DCAM Synth Squad into the dark recesses of my hard drive.

I think I may cut the hardware down to my M3, MPC-2500, and a Minibrute.

What do you guys think?

BTW, I'm selling my mint condition Moog Slimphatty for $575 + shipping if anybody is interested.

• Members

I say keep the Nord Lead. If you keep coming back to it, clearly you connect with it. However, I understand your urge to minimize your gear...perhaps just put the Nord in the closet for a few months and forget about it. Eventually I bet you'll find yourself missing it.

• Members

I say keep the Nord Lead. If you keep coming back to it, clearly you connect with it. However, I understand your urge to minimize your gear...perhaps just put the Nord in the closet for a few months and forget about it. Eventually I bet you'll find yourself missing it.

Sounds like a good idea. I just may need the money for higher end recording gear. Maybe I should just save up a bit longer and wait.

• Members

be careful about purchasing a lot of high end gear for audio school. i did the same thing, all i really needed was my laptop DAW and a mbox the whole time. i loosed my vsynth and my frac rack modular for some compressor kits, a console and tape gear when i didn't really need to. no regrets NOW but i lost some cash in the process.

• Members

be careful about purchasing a lot of high end gear for audio school. i did the same thing, all i really needed was my laptop DAW and a mbox the whole time. i loosed my vsynth and my frac rack modular for some compressor kits, a console and tape gear when i didn't really need to. no regrets NOW but i lost some cash in the process.

I thank you for the concern but the gear purchases are not for school. I intend to be a full fledged entrepreneur after college. Doing Project studio level work and subcontrated duties. A nice high end audio interface and some good choice plug-ins to rpoduce some solid work. ;)

• Members

Very good idea

• Members

I can't believe that I'm actually considering to sell my 4th Nord Lead 2x.

ImpOSCar 2 and the KLC Polysix have taken over its' duties. The school has me getting at better tools for mixing music rather than a wealth of sound sources and my use of Iris is putting Kontakt and the DCAM Synth Squad into the dark recesses of my hard drive.

I think I may cut the hardware down to my M3, MPC-2500, and a Minibrute.

What do you guys think?

BTW, I'm selling my mint condition Moog Slimphatty for $575 + shipping if anybody is interested.

What gives with the Nord Lead 2x. If it's been the fall guy so many times.. Any niggles or issues or just a VA in HW not cutting it as you say..

Also what gives with the Moog Slimphatty..?

Tell us more :)

• Members

Get a LA-610 mkII for you pre/compressor. This will give you a nice tube pre with a touch of eq and an optical compressor in one package. After years of recording and installing studios I have found this to be the best deal around. For a mic I suggest a used U87 and be done with it. Any more outboard for a small setup is a waste. Do not. I repeat. Do not get a 737-SP. These are dull sounding and built like crap inside.

U87_Z.jpg

la610mkii_front_hq.jpg

• Members

What gives with the Nord Lead 2x. If it's been the fall guy so many times.. Any niggles or issues or just a VA in HW not cutting it as you say..

Also what gives with the Moog Slimphatty..?

Tell us more
:)

The Lead 2x is fine. Just haven't found any use for it lately. I'm just getting the results I want in sound from Iris, ImpOSCar 2, and PPG 3.V. I'm Also doing a bit of programming with the Korg Legacy Collection (KLC-1) and Tremor. Iris is the kind of synth I've wanted for quite some time so now the other stuff is getting neglected.

I also want a few more UA plug-ins to go with a new Apollo audio interface.

The Slimphatty is another item that has gootten no use for me. It just doesn't fit my music and is definitely going. A Minibrute might serve multiple needs better in having a monophonic I can sample into Iris as well as portable keyboard duties for college and being on the go. Something the Lead 2X did well but its lack of USB connectivity is being a bit of a hinderance. I hope Clavia becomes a SYNTHESIZER company again and releases a new Nord Modular. I can't seem to find anything for Mac that had as clean and functional an interface as the G2 series.

To Buster: The LA 610 plug-in comes with the Apollo :) I already got a Rode Procaster for narration and voice over duties. I will definitely consider your advice for a vocal mic. They have one at the college but I think it can only be used by instructors in teaching because of the price. I already replaced my Mackie monitors with Yamaha HS 80M's and I also want to add a Yamaha MGP 16X analog mixer.

• Members

Spend your money on monitors, mics, and preamps, before sinking it into converters. Of course, you may need a decent multichannel interface or two. But don't spend a ton of money on high quality converters, because they're far from the weakest link in the audio chain, and your money will make a lot bigger difference elsewhere. Also, high-tech stuff keeps getting cheaper and better, and today's costly top dog won't be worth so much 5 years from now, whereas a good mic will hold its value.

Even soundblaster converters are far more transparent than most people realize -- not that I'd recommend them for serious work.

• Members

Might this be the 4th time you've felt that way?
:lol:

:lol: It might, but before, it was always thinking that another new hardware synth was better (Waldorf Blofeld, DSI Prophet 08, etc.) This time it's to free up money for better recording equipment and not another tone generator. Also, for the purpose of expanding into the busines of audio recording. ;)

• Members

Tubes can not be correctly emulated with software. There is also a reason why UA came out with a revised version of there fathers 610 tube preamp. I have also tried just about every software compressor and none of them work like the hardware they are supposed to emulate. This is why I suggested the LA-610. It will give you a nice tube pre and a optical compressor. Your clients and music deserve it.

• Members

Tubes can not be correctly emulated with software. There is also a reason why UA came out with a revised version of there fathers 610 tube preamp. I have also tried just about every software compressor and none of them work like the hardware they are supposed to emulate. This is why I suggested the LA-610. It will give you a nice tube pre and a optical compressor. Your clients and music deserve it.

Thanks for the info. I will make the LA-610 MkII a strong consideration. :thu:

• Members

the apollo looks pretty dope, haven't seen any major shoot outs but i assume the converters, pres and dsp are all top notch.

having said that if you keep returning to the nl2 after 4 times, maybe you should just hang on to it unless you want to get a 5th one later lol

• Members

the apollo looks pretty dope, haven't seen any major shoot outs but i assume the converters, pres and dsp are all top notch.

having said that if you keep returning to the nl2 after 4 times, maybe you should just hang on to it unless you want to get a 5th one later lol

Lol. Yeah, I just put it away for now. I recently purchased MeterPlugs K-Meter. My next purchase is going to be a Minibrute. Too many advantages to having one right now. Especially since I'm taking a sound design class next quarter.

They delayed my Apollo until August.

Archived