mass vs hotplate

arcadesonfire

• Members

I know this topic has shown up a lot, but i'm looking to hear from people who have had experience with both the weber mass and the thd hotplate.

I've had mass for a few years, and i'm generally happy with the sound (i use it on plexi- and twin-type amps), but now i'm living in the big city (new york) and the Mass is just way too much to carry on the subway,

the hotplate seems like it would be much more manageable, but does it sound as good?

i'm not looking for bedroom levels, but i am looking for rehearsal volumes that won't get me yelled at by other band members

i know a while ago (maybe it was years ago now) there was a sticky thread comparing attenuators, anyone remember the results? i can't find it now

• Members

I use a HotPlate with my Bassman and I really like the results. There is some tone suckage on the -16 and -12 settings but I never used them in a band situation.

+1 on that.

-8 and up are fine. Even -12 for rehursals arent too bad, and -16 and below (rotary backed off) can be usefull (I can even use for late night TV vol stuff so I dont wake the kids - as long as you take the tone for what it is - to practice).

Archived