What MIDI controller is this?!?!?! Please help I MUST know!!!!

chevybusa

• Members

Hey everyone. Saw this in another thread, and I an dying to know what the make and model of the controller is, as I've never seen a MIDI foot controller like this with more than 17 notes, and would KILL to be able to have that many notes/range to be able to play with my feet while I'm rocking the 88's with my hands, if anyone knows what this controller is please let me know, thank you guys so much!!!!

[video=youtube;3SZCMDlmO0c]

• Members

You really don't know??? are you kidding?

No I'm not kidding, I really don't know, as I said I've never seen a B3 organ style MIDI foot controller with more than 17 notes until Another Scott posted....As I said I would really like to have that range to be able to play with my feet while I'm using my hands on the keys, please, if you know what it is let me know! Thank you so much.

• Members

I think the doggy one is diy. The pedal board probably came from a Hammond Flea-3.

It might even be 2 spinet pedal boards, one 12 and one 13 note. I haven't seen many organs that have 2 octave spinet pedals like that, but a few do. If your interested, I'll find the link I have to a good affordable midi diy kit that would be just perfect for that. Around $40, iirc. You supply the pedals, of course. Or buy them from me, as I happen to have a 12, a 13, and a 24 just sitting around. But the 24 note one has a heel board which would be bad for stand-up playing. And no switches on the 24, which is how they usually are...

• Members

:thu: Hogger, that's probably the midi doodad I'm thinking of. Someone on hamtech mentioned one, but I can't be bothered to plod through that archive.

With that board, you could matrix 2 octaves of keyswitches and have several more analog inputs for various pedals and switches.

Very few organs had this style of pedals, though:

LowreyRoyale.jpg

And really, even that style wouldn't be optimal for stand-up playing. Something more like a low plank with 24 buttons on it would be better, I'm thinking, so you could rest your heel on the floor...

• Members

If you can round up a 2 octave pedalboard off any old organ, you can probably make it MIDI with
one of these
. I did it with a 1-octave pedalboard I got for $50 off ebay, came from an old lowrey organ.

is it difficult for someone who does not know soldering ?

this is the best pedalboard you can get (hack)

1339240294_120270652_20-Yamaha-Electone-

the pedal keys are velocity and AFTERTOUCH sensitive . there's two foot pedals, one that bounces back, usually for pitch bend, and the other which doesn't bounce back, for expression, and switch on the left and right to change patch up/down or anything

• Members

Soldering's not that difficult. It's knowing which wire to solder to what that separates the circuit bender from the technician and engineer. You should get a good temp controlled iron. There are lots of utoobs with soldering tutorials. I wouldn't just jump right into working on a $40 board like that, though. Get an old VCR or something and flux it all up with practicing until you feel confident that you can fix mistakes when you make them.

That midi board Hogger posted won't have velo or aftertouch, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want either in a pedal board.

After checking the prices for good momentary contact switches, I'm thinking I'd probably mine some Cherry switches from one of the old IBM keyboards I have tucked away for just such atrocities.

If I ever do it, which I probably won't.

• Members

I think the doggy one is diy. The pedal board probably came from a Hammond Flea-3.

It might even be 2 spinet pedal boards, one 12 and one 13 note. I haven't seen many organs that have 2 octave spinet pedals like that, but a few do. If your interested, I'll find the link I have to a good affordable midi diy kit that would be just perfect for that. Around $40, iirc. You supply the pedals, of course. Or buy them from me, as I happen to have a 12, a 13, and a 24 just sitting around. But the 24 note one has a heel board which would be bad for stand-up playing. And no switches on the 24, which is how they usually are...

{censored} yeah man!!! Thank you so much, PM sent!!!!

• Members

BTW the dogs do NOT have perfect pitch. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Yeah, it's obviously simple Pavlovian training...

Anyways, as far as the exact model goes, it's "DIY", but take a look here. I bet it's the Doepfer MBP25. (Doepfer's web page with the same product shows it with a case, but then cleverly says the case has to be provided by the customer... hah!) Anyways, Doepfer apparently has a kit with their MBP25 controller board that contains two Fatar PD/3 pedalboards (13 pedals). The video to my eyes does seem to show the two units without the case. Hope that helps. :)

• Members

Yeah, it's probably the Doepfer, good sleuthing! And not only does that kit NOT come with a case, it doesn't come with the base plate. And since it comes with two thirteen note pedal boards, you have to saw the top "C" off of one of them before you can stick them together. At least it only takes passable effort:

"One of the two pedals has to be shortended by one key as one of the "C" keys is redundant. Fortunately the PD/3 pedals use a plastic frame and can be shortened with passable effort."

• Members

That midi board Hogger posted won't have velo or aftertouch...

Wrong (oh the shame).

I was just looking over the info on that highlyliquid gizmo, and you could have channel aftertouch pretty easily, if you wanted to put an FSR strip under the pedals...

Archived