In the market for CLEAN-sounding AMP to Gig with...

smartinez1984

• Members

I've been playing a Marshall Valvestate 2000 for a couple of years and I've been unable to get a clean, pure, sound that I like, although it was great for my previous gig. My main guitar is a Fender Fat Strat although I play a Hamer as well when the song calls for it.

I played a Fender 1965 Twin Rever Re-issue this afternoon out at our local Guitar Center and borrowed one of their fats for about 30 minutes... The clean sound was amazing. I came home and read many of the reviews which, as is expected, ranged from the "it sucks" to the "it's the best".

Our band plays what is probably best described as Spanish soft rock, jazz'ish, stuff... figured I could put pedals in front for any of the distortion and other effects.

If not this one - any recommendations on a compatible amp?

• Members

Fender Twin Reverb is by far the best clean platform amp out there. Takes pedals well.
It will suit your style perfectly and you already know you like it.

I love mine and so does my son and he plays everything. Vox wah, Maxon OD-9, Boss DD-2 delay ,or whatever pedals you like, and you are good to go.

The Xotic BB preamp is a good pedal too, but pricey for me.

• Members
You want to hear a nice clean, go down to Austin Vintage Guitars off of South Lamar and play an original blackface Twin. You will never forget it.
:thu:

:) scanned a bit for an original - just for fun...

And on EBay - Starting bid: US $2,095.00

Wonder if he'll take my house & truck as trade? ;)

• Members
:)
scanned a bit for an original - just for fun...

And on EBay - Starting bid: US $2,095.00

Wonder if he'll take my house & truck as trade?
;)

Last time I was in Austin Vintage they had an orginal for half that price. :)

Have you ever been to the shop? If not, you should go just for the hell of it. Its in the same shopping center that Ray Hennings Heart of Texas is in. There is also an Alamo Drafthouse there as well. So many awesome vintage Fender amps its ridiculous. :love:

• Members

I would give the fender supersonic a shot. I have heard very mixed reviews, but it has a vibrolux or bassman clean and a gain channel.

Most of the vintage fenders are pretty high priced, but the Fender heads, like Showmans, Bassmans, Bandmasters, Bandmaster reverbs, etc can still be had for reasonable prices. The Showman is a twin reverb in head format.

Before buying the Twin reverb reissue, try to find an '68-70 silverface Twin reverb, it may be in your price range.

• Members

Cool - I'll have to give those a try. I see that you have two separate Rivera amps listed in your post. Do you use them for separate types of music?

Yes I do.

I use my Clubster for my electric set up & Sedona for my acoustic set up - (when I don't use a mic or use a P.A. system).

• Members

On the Rivera - I went to their website and launched the video demonstration on the Clubster. Is it my imagination or is the amp really noisy, almost like a "bad ground" sound? Still watching the rest...

The Clubster has been having some difficulty with them being noisy, I know several (5) Clubster owners that have complained about this - they call Paul, he asked them to send back. Fixed the problem & had their amps w/in a month. I have not had this problem. I was just in Guitar Rez today and asked if they have found the Clubster been given them any problem. They have heard from their customers that amp has been getting alittle noisy too.

When I was shopping around for a Rivera it came down to two amps. The Clubster & Chubster. After playing around for about two hours with different effects & for the music that I wanted to play @ that time the Clubster won out. But now I wished I would have spent the extra cash a gotten the Chubster.

When I get rid of my Clubster, I will get the 55 Chubster to replace it some time next year.

• Members
Never been there even though I've been to Heart of Texas many a time. I need to swing by - I have a 1972 tele that I need some work on. The frets are all worn out from being played so much....

Do NOT take your guitar there!!!!!!

There is a place right next door to Austin Vintage called "The Custom Shop." The tech's name is Rob Hacker. He is THE man. He works on all my guitars. He's built basses for Nikki Six, works on Chris Duarte's guitar, Jimmy Vaughn's guitars, and one time I was in there he had director Robert Rodriguez SRV strat copy. He's a badass, and the only guy in town I trust with my guitars.

If you go, tell him Shea (pronounced Shay) sent you and he will hook you up. :)

• Members

I love Fenders, and would probably go with a Twin Reverb if I was looking for great cleans. Another tube amp that has a spectacular clean is the Mesa Lone Star Special.

Just for contrast, and if you want to go Solid State, you could look into a Roland JC-120. Those were on many, many famous recordings, and sound much different than Fenders, but just as clean...

• Members

So, just how good, really, are amp modelers, such as the Line 6 Vetta? I don't see them much on stage with live bands - is there a reason for that? Maybe nothing like the real thing?

Oh, and I ask because I'm wondering if they model the Fender Twin and, if so, how well?

Archived