Marshall JCM 800 question

dufe32

• Members

I'll probably sound like a noob but {censored} it: could someone explain to me what is the difference/meaning of those 2203, 2204, 2210, etc. numbers with the JCM 800 amps? Is it a wattage thing? Rarity? What are the main differences between those numbers, I mean they are all JCM 800 but why the number?

• Members

Nah the 2210 is a head. I have someone who wants to trade his 2210 head for some other stuff that I have.

2204 - 50 watt single channel

2203 - 100 watt single channel

2205 - 50 watt two channel

2210 - 100 watt two channel

No idea why they picked that number scheme as ass-backwards as it seems to be

• Members

2204 - 50 watt single channel

2203 - 100 watt single channel

2205 - 50 watt two channel

2210 - 100 watt two channel

No idea why they picked that number scheme as ass-backwards as it seems to be

The 2203/2203 had two versions, also. They started with vertical inputs like an older JMP, then then transitioned to horizontal inputs in '85 or '86. The 2203 also had its power supply neutered, which is why the horizontal input 800's have a bad rap.

The 2205/2210 have more gain on tap, and sound somewhere between the 2203/2204 and the JCM900 gain-wise. IIRC, they do have diode clipping, where the 2203/2204 had none. Their clean channels aren't very good on the 2205 and 2210, but the dirt definitely sounds more modern than the 2203/2204.

• Members

The 2203/2203 had two versions, also. They started with vertical inputs like an older JMP, then then transitioned to horizontal inputs in '85 or '86. The 2203 also had its power supply neutered, which is why the horizontal input 800's have a bad rap.

The 2205/2210 have more gain on tap, and sound somewhere between the 2203/2204 and the JCM900 gain-wise. IIRC, they do have diode clipping, where the 2203/2204 had none. Their clean channels aren't very good on the 2205 and 2210, but the dirt definitely sounds more modern than the 2203/2204.

-Nailed it.

• Members

Thanks bro, I will start by trying it out and then I'll see from there. My DSL100 fits the bill very well but I'm somewhat intrigued by the 800 since I have never played one. Heard some but never experienced with those.

• Members

I'll probably sound like a noob but {censored} it: could someone explain to me what is the difference/meaning of those 2203, 2204, 2210, etc. numbers with the JCM 800 amps? Is it a wattage thing? Rarity? What are the main differences between those numbers, I mean they are all JCM 800 but why the number?

There are also Canadian versions of the 2203 and 2204 (not sure about the others)

They have the vertical inputs, metal switches and (i think) something different under the hood.

• Members

Yeah well I'll try the 2210 and see from there. The guy told me the head has metal switches, I've been looking on the net with all the information I got from the folks on here and I can't seem to find any pic of those heads with metal switches, maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about or it's very old.

• Members

There are also Canadian versions of the 2203 and 2204 (not sure about the others)

They have the vertical inputs, metal switches and (i think) something different under the hood.

I believe that they have an additional filter cap and a few more fuses due to Canadian electrical policy.

• Members
Yeah well I'll try the 2210 and see from there. The guy told me the head has metal switches, I've been looking on the net with all the information I got from the folks on here and I can't seem to find any pic of those heads with metal switches, maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about or it's very old.

Canadian model.
I have 2 with metal switches:
marshalls.JPG

• Members

Hey thx for the pics bro but those aren't 2210, right? So maybe this guy has the Canadian version of the 2210. I truly hope it's like the first one sitting on top of the cab, with that cool vintage grill cloth.

• Members

Hey thx for the pics bro but those aren't 2210, right? So maybe this guy has the Canadian version of the 2210. I truly hope it's like the first one sitting on top of the cab, with that cool vintage grill cloth.

Those are 2204/2203.

The guy's is probably a cdn ed. 2210.

The grill is new, i replaced the original. It used to look like this:

2204.JPG

• Members

there is one thing I know. 2203 + sd-1 = BALLS

{censored} yeah!

I bought the 2203 and 2204 the same week i loved them so much.

My 2203 is out getting modded by T. Caswell for the Slash mod, so i 2204 will have to be my 'boosted stock one'

• Members

3 'regular' editions sold on Ebay for the following (USD): 900$, 976$, 760$.

Cnd Editions are supposed to fetch a bit more.

Is the guy local? what is he asking?

Yeah the guy is like 10 minutes from my place. He wants to make a trade with me for some stuff that I have. He's got a Telecaster (60th anniversary) in Butterscotch blonde and the JCM800 2210 in the trade. He came to my house yeasterday morning with the Tele but the amp was at the practice place, so he's coming back tomorrow night so I can try this thing. The Tele is pristine and needs minimal to no adjustments (personal stuff) and the neck is straight, I believe it wasn't played that much, it's very clean. I was just wondering about the value of the amp just to see if it's a fair trade. I'm kinda getting rid of my Triaxis and VHT power amp. Since I can't find cash deals (I'm asking 1300$ CAN for the Triaxis and 1100$ CAN for the VHT 2/50/2) this is the only serious trade deal that I have. The most interesting I should say. I could use the Tele for many situations.

Archived