What Instrument would you like to have that is not a Keyboard?

minimoog

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

I would like to have an octave mandolin. I can play mandolin (sort of out of practice but my flat-picking chops when tuned/brushed up for a couple weeks are not too bad) and the octave mandolin sounds absolutely wonderful to me. The tuning is the same as an ordinary mandolin (like a violin and unlike a mandola or a mandocello) but one octave lower (derp).

I believe mandola is tuned like a mandolin, but in a lower key. A fiddle/mando player I play with weekly (lunch break at work) has mandola and octave mandolin, but no mandocello.

In any case, thanks for reminding me of this tune (played using a mandocello):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

Right, I have a fretless bass that I use in fast songs in which case I don't do sliding. But as Meatball expertly explained, the tone is different and unless I want to play chords, my fretless has been my go-to bass in recent years. Now I'm moving to flatwounds to make it even more kick-ass thumb.gif

Flatwounds will also save you wear and tear on the fingerboard.

For those will less bass experience, roundwounds deliver that growling "wow" sound that Jaco was known for. The price you pay for using them is they grind into the fingerboard. Jaco treated his fingerboard with several coats of boat epoxy to protect it from the roundwounds. Flatwounds deliver a more "upright bass" kind of sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd View Post
Real drums are like acoustic guitars and pianos: if you want them to sound really good, you have to drop some serious coin.
Let's add it up and see.

Sonor 2007 Birch set - $449
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONOR-BIRCH-...item337ce52fdf

or Ludwig 80s Rocker Maple set - $199
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...58-i2739867.gc

Add a Ludwig Acrolite for - $75

Must get 4-5 medium to high end cymbals used $75 to $125 each - $400

Asst Stands - $250

The trick is to get new high quality heads for new or used drums. $100

So for $1025 to $1275 you would have a nice new birch or used maple set of drums with nice soundiing cymbals and new heads. This is how much a mid range keyboard is without an amp.

wave.gif

• Members

My fretless fingerboard has been treated with something harder than epoxy and is very very durable now. Something that Sean Malone taught me when we played together in the 90s... he has his fingerboards treated, or at least at that time his Kubicki Factors were treated. Now he's moved on to Ibanez and I haven't talked to him in years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff

View Post

However, of instruments I've always secretly coveted but never had, I'd pick Chapman Stick. The reasons I've never owned one are simple: they're not cheap, and I hardly need yet another instrument to suck at.

I've owned one. Had an ironwood when Chapman was selling them for $850. Nice instrument, but eventually I wanted it to sound more and more like a guitar + a bass, which is admittedly unfair to instrument because it wasn't designed to be a guitar or bass. Briefly chatting with Charlie Hunter, the wizard of the 8-string guitar-bass, clarified why the Stick (or competing instruments like the Warr Guitar) wasn't for me - when I play a stringed instrument I just love to pluck, strum, and bow the strings more than tap on them. The Harpejji is similar in concept as a stringed tapping instrument, except it's configured more like a piano - it's price is even more of a detriment. Stevie Wonder is using one as kind of an alternative Clavinet.

Speaking of flute, I tried my hand at shakuhachi. Most difficult instrument I've ever tried to play. I guess trumpet is up there too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd

View Post

Real drums are like acoustic guitars and pianos: if you want them to sound really good, you have to drop some serious coin.

Quote Originally Posted by burster

View Post

Let's add it up and see... $1025 to $1275

OK, that's not too bad. thumb.gif

In "Asst Stands = $250" are you including good DB pedals (I like double bass), and throne?

And I know I didn't say this earlier, but since this is a wishing thread I would want an outlandishly proggish set, with six toms, two rides, two or three crashes, not to mention mics, stands, mixer, and a soundproof treated recording room for all of it.

The biggest drawback to real drums is when someone else plays them while I'm trying to sleep. So it looks like edrums for me. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I play drums already too. Keys are like my 2nd instrument. If I were to pick up a 3rd it would be violin. My daughter plays and it is a very cool instrument. I was thinking of buying one earlier this year but chickened out and decided to practice piano more instead. But someday ...

Archived