Anyone play a 2-channel JCM 800?

Sgt. Funk

• Members

A friend of mine has a '87 2205 and I had a '83.....his sounded way better than mine! They have different circuit boards and his had el34's and mine had 6550's. His serial number was a "V" and mine was a "R".

• Members

Yes, Tom Morello uses a 2205.

Never played one personally, but they're not as well regarded as some of the earlier JCM800s.

To each their own, though. You should get the one at GC and sell it if you don't like it. You can probably get the same if not more than what you paid for it.

• Members

They want $1199 for it. (sticker)

Obviously used, so. . there is some leverage on price. Probably no more than $1100, $1000 If I really get on my knees.

Not worth it. For that you can get a 70s JMP or an 80s 2203/2204 and they'll sound a hell of a lot better

• Members

I had a later model 2205 for a little while - great amp! I think the changes were around '86, with the later ones being better. It's not as fat as a single channel 800, but I'd put it right up there with a DSL. The "normal" channel is not really that clean, and can get a good AC/DC sound cranked. The "lead" channel on mine was a little noisy and a little more compressed - didn't like it as much. That price is rediculous. I don't think I'd go above about $800 for one...

• Members

Not worth it. For that you can get a 70s JMP or an 80s 2203/2204 and they'll sound a hell of a lot better

You can't get a 2203/2204 for $1000 anymore! If you can buy it because they are SKY ROCKETING!!!

• Members

I had a friend who was wanting a 2 channel 2210 or 2205. W scowered the city and decided that the 2210 sounded better. The other thing we found out was that the good ones were 1987 or later. Before 87 they had issues with the dirty channel bleeding into the clean channel.

I dug the clean, enjoyed the dirty but it still wasn't as good as the 2204 I have now.

Archived