Epi Valve Junior users...

TeleMan1985

• Members

What pedals do you use to get a nice tone out of the epi? I mainly use a blues driver and a marshall Guv'nor II. Not the best pedals I know, but not the worst either. Then I have a couple of slapback settings on my DD-20 to brighten it up a bit. Sometimes I really like my tone, but sometimes I think it just sounds dull and dead. I know the Epi is a dark Bassy amp anyway - that's how I like it, I don't like Fender Brightness, but I'm just never 100% happy with my tone. It might be because most of the time I play at living room volumes - I would dearly love to crank it, but it's just not an option. So without talking about mods or any of that stuff, what do you guys do to get your nice sounds out of this amp?

• Members

Fender amps are bright? Blues junior too?

I'm thinking of getting the BJunior. Also considering the epi Valve Special and Valve standard.

Does the epi give you that coveted tube experience?

In my experience Fender Amps are bright yes. I'm sure many people like that, but I'm not a fan.

Does the Epi give you that tube experience. Sure does. Simple is beautiful in my book and it doesn't get any simpler than this. Lovely cleans and great blues overdrive if you get the chance to crank it - no complaints for the price. My issue is more with pedals than with the amp I guess...

• Members

In my experience Fender Amps are bright yes. I'm sure many people like that, but I'm not a fan.

TeleMan, I really agree with you -- amps like the Twin Reverb etc are just way too tinny for me. However, I heard the Fender 57 Deluxe reissue and the Fender 57 Twin reissue, and those are the least Fender-like amps that i've ever heard. An absolutely amazing, fat tube tone. Not sure exactly what accounts for the differences, but the 57 reissue amps are amazing.

Regarding pedals for the Epi, I actually find that pedals don't really help it all that much. I have a Vox Big Ben overdrive that is a very nice tube-powered overdrive pedal ... but honestly, there is such little clean headroom on the Valve Jr that running an OD pedal on top of it seems counterproductive to me.

-alex

• Members

What pedals do you use to get a nice tone out of the epi? I mainly use a blues driver and a marshall Guv'nor II. Not the best pedals I know, but not the worst either. Then I have a couple of slapback settings on my DD-20 to brighten it up a bit. Sometimes I really like my tone, but sometimes I think it just sounds dull and dead. I know the Epi is a dark Bassy amp anyway - that's how I like it, I don't like Fender Brightness, but I'm just never 100% happy with my tone. It might be because most of the time I play at living room volumes - I would dearly love to crank it, but it's just not an option. So without talking about mods or any of that stuff, what do you guys do to get your nice sounds out of this amp?

I haven't been able to get any. I've tried a number of my pedals that sound great through my other amps and they can't get anything decent out of my Valve Jr head. The least bad sound I've been able to get was with my Oberheim GM-400 in front of it, using some serious graphic or parametric EQ'ing and using the overdrive/crunch built into the GM-400.

• Members
Fender amps are bright? Blues junior too?

I'm thinking of getting the BJunior. Also considering the epi Valve Special and Valve standard.

Does the epi give you that coveted tube experience?

That's another one of the worst tube amps I've ever heard or played through. Add a Hot Rod Deluxe and you've got them all covered.:thu:

• Members
That's another one of the worst tube amps I've ever heard or played through. Add a Hot Rod Deluxe and you've got them all covered.
:thu:

Well, I disagree w/. you about the Epi Valve Jr., but the Hot Rod Deluxe seriously is one of the worst tube amps of all time. The overdrive channels are just atrocious. :mad:

Archived