Whats so Special about the Roland V-synth?

minimoog

• Members

i've always lusted after the v-synth rack since it was announced. afaik they were used much more in the mid '00s especially in electronica when they first came out but not so much the last few years.

i think a v-synth xt and integra-7 would be a killer combination. roland gets slagged a lot and admittedly i still don't get the jupiter 80 thing but they do knock some out of the park

about pro tools man irl i see it everywhere. all my friends and acquaintances use it, the big studios i've been to all use it even the grimiest low life producer i know uses it lol.

i've only seen a handful of logic, reason, ableton, cubase, etc setups. sometimes they call me to show them how to mix in logic when they need to but its not very common.

• Members

I have both the GT and XT. I didn't buy them to replace anything. I didn't buy them to compare them to anything. Purchases of those for those reasons would be both stupid and misinformed.I bought them to add to the creative palate which I need for composing. Are they perfect? Of course not. Are they for everyone? Of course not. What synth is? I see lots of room for improvement that sadly will never come. For me, they are unique boutique synths I use in limited ways, and are valuable when I need them. I use the vocoder in the XT as much as I use it for a synth. But I would never compare them to an obsolete budget rompler ( 1080) or a budget poly analog ( 106). Both of those units have completely different purposes and both were initially designed for budgetary purposes. Of course, Im not suggesting that a synth has to be expensive to be viable. One can make music with anything.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MuzikB View Post

Nobody for whom I'm professionally acquainted with wants one, has one, or even desires one.
I put the hype it gets up there with calling Pro Tools the "Industry Standard" because nobody within the "industry" I'm in seems to use it and it never ranks within the top 5 of any populous poll.
Regardless of the gear,

Believe it or not, you ( and your "professional" friends) are not the standard by which all people measure their purchases by. What a completely arrogant and clueless comment you made.
I know a lot of professionals who buy certain types of gear BECAUSE most others will not.
The V- is an older synth now, there is no "hype" about it that IM aware of. Its just another one of the thousands of synths out there.
There is no hype about pro-tools either, and sorry, but it IS the industry standard. That industry being the recording industry.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator View Post
Regardless of the gear,

Believe it or not, you ( and your "professional" friends) are not the standard by which all people measure their purchases by. What a completely arrogant and clueless comment you made.
I know a lot of professionals who buy certain types of gear BECAUSE most others will not.
The V- is an older synth now, there is no "hype" about it that IM aware of. Its just another one of the thousands of synths out there.
There is no hype about pro-tools either, and sorry, but it IS the industry standard. That industry being the recording industry.
I did not say or imply that myself and my acquaintances were any standard but used it as a reference to counter argue. You just happened to get your feeling hurt and nd I'm not just referring to the V-Synth but the whole V-Synth line.

You can go right ahead and cling to your ideals about the V-Synth and Pro Tools but I have experienced far too much to agree.

• Members
I did not say or imply that myself and my acquaintances were any standard but used it as a reference to counter argue. You just happened to get your feeling hurt and nd I'm not just referring to the V-Synth but the whole V-Synth line.

You can go right ahead and cling to your ideals about the V-Synth and Pro Tools but I have experienced far too much to agree.
Then why did you get all defensive in post #22? Your gear comparisons are baseless and your industry observations are myopic.

Again, arrogance. My feelings are not hurt in the least, and I have no "ideals" about the V-synth. I dont like it any more or less than any of the other synths I have. You obviously didn't grasp my post.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by minimoog View Post
wave station, kawai and v synth that's some good times you have there

Thanks - there are also a few that aren't in the picture (Novation UltraNova, Korg Micro-X, Kurzweil K2000R)

Evildragon - re: FS1R - I bought it at least 5 years ago and I think I paid around $350 used. Hard to remember - a lot of gear has come and gone since then. But I've seen the prices going up in recent years. Its a cool and unique synth, but I wish it were easier to program. Maybe I'm just more used to Roland and Korg architecture.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator View Post
Then why did you get all defensive in post #22? Your gear comparisons are baseless and your industry observations are myopic.

Again, arrogance. My feelings are not hurt in the least, and I have no "ideals" about the V-synth. I dont like it any more or less than any of the other synths I have. You obviously didn't grasp my post.
My arrogance or your insecurity?

There's nothing in post#22 that is me taking anything personal. Facts based on observation.

Look on the web yourself for artist interviews. You won't find many, if at all, artists -producers - etc., citing the V-Synths as a must have or indispensable production tool in their arsenals.

Like I said different strokes for different folks and if you love your V-Synths, then fine. I, in know way, understand why but if it helps you rock crowds or get down with your bad self in your bedroom then so be it.

• Members

If you ask me (I know, nobody asked) synths just don't sound that good. Yeah they make interesting timbres and the acoustically unpossible but most sounds are audibly little more than glorified beeps and buzzes. Seems the MFGers can't be bothered with music and would rather reap the off the shelf synthesis (pronounced personal vibrator) aspect. They give you units that faithfully emulate aforementioned beeps and buzzes. Whoopee and don't even bother following up.

• Members

I have a v-synth. For me, it excels it 3 areas: A fantastic playing experience (great keybed, d-beams, time-trip pad, one-knob-per-function etc.), a really intuitive user interface, and Variphrase which is just great for experiementing with mangling samples in realtime and coming up with interesting soundscapes/textures that I'd never have come up with if I set out to program one. This suits my style of music (goth/industrial), it may not suit yours.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MuzikB

View Post

Facts based on observation.

Facts are not created by observation only. Facts are usually scientifically proven. Since what you said isn't scientifically proven, you cannot call them facts, but only an observation. What you observed is definitely not true around here or somewhere else out in the world, so it can't be a generalized fact.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
Facts are not created by observation only. Facts are usually scientifically proven. Since what you said isn't scientifically proven, you cannot call them facts, but only an observation. What you observed is definitely not true around here or somewhere else out in the world, so it can't be a generalized fact.
Too quote myself..."Look on the web yourself for artist interviews. You won't find many, if at all, artists -producers - etc., citing the V-Synths as a must have or indispensable production tool in their arsenals."

I'll start....http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...tudio-549970/4

Here the V-Synth GT is so awesome and "special", that he pretty much just uses it as a controller keyboard.

• Members

All the producers in the world do not matter if you yourself find something special in just about any board you happen to use.

I find a few of pretty unique things about V-Synth that are making it distinct and "special" in comparison to other VAs. One of them is AP. The other is Variphase. Both of them are interesting and I think I can find them useful for what I'd do. That's why I'm going to get a V-Synth XT at some point in time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
All the producers in the world do not matter if you yourself find something special in just about any board you happen to use.

I find a few of pretty unique things about V-Synth that are making it distinct and "special" in comparison to other VAs. One of them is AP. The other is Variphase. Both of them are interesting and I think I can find them useful for what I'd do. That's why I'm going to get a V-Synth XT at some point in time.
It's funny how people keep missing the part where I say if you gets down with it then fine. I don't understand for the life of me why but it's cool. Different strokes for different folks.

The original poster asked,"What's so special about the V-Synth?" And I'm saying "NOTHING."

• Members
The original poster asked,"What's so special about the V-Synth?" And I'm saying "NOTHING."
Putting sound aside the V-Synth makes a hell of a controller keyboard. The V-pad will make other synths do things you never imagined. I guess you didn't hear the demo where I made a Radias sound like a hell on wheels motorcycle or where the Radias was screaming for mercy. Also, running other synths thru all of the Roland effects and sampler features is very cool. You definitely have to think outside of the box when using a V-Synth.

V-Pad for the win.

thumb.gif

Archived