I think I need a new drum machine, any suggestions?

The Unknown

• Members

Hi! I've been using a Zoom RT-223 for a little while now and I've been experiencing a problem with the tempo of that particular machine : at the same BPM, it runs a little faster then my other gear (arpegiator on my synth, metronome on my Mac, etc.).

So, I've decided to upgrade.

I like to use a "real" drum machine rather then softwares for many reasons. What I'm looking for is something that will give me great, deep sounding drums. I'm mostly using electronic drums settings, so electronic drum sounds need to be great. Synth functions would be a nice extra (the possibility to program synth patterns). The least important aspect of a drum machine for me are the bass guitar sounds, as I'm primarily a bass player and will not use the bass of a drum machine at all.

I've done my online shopping and came across the Alesis SR-18 and the Akai XR20 that caught my attention. My budget is around 300$. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the Alesis or the Akai you'd like to share?

• Members

The Alesis SR-18 is a cool all around DM but, the Akai XR20 is more of a Hip-Hop DM. A used the DR-880 would be the ticket. I have have owned all of these and ended up going back to my trusty MPCs. I can load any samples I want and have a "custom DM. The MPC500 is a little small but, does what the bigger one do. The MPC1000 would be the one to get.

• Members

Are you syncing your Zoom?

The Alesis SR18 and Akai XR20 have the same operating system. The XR20 is more electronic-sounding and has pretty flashing pads (very important), the SR18 more realistic, as has been already noted. The problem I have had with both is that they sometimes will not sync with MIDI clock.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CDA View Post
Are you syncing your Zoom?

The Alesis SR18 and Akai XR20 have the same operating system. The XR20 is more electronic-sounding and has pretty flashing pads (very important), the SR18 more realistic, as has been already noted. The problem I have had with both is that they sometimes will not sync with MIDI clock.
I'm not syncing the Zoom... actually, I'm not much of a MIDI guy, so I don't know exactly how that works (maybe I should read the part of the manual where there's info on that...). You have a problem with syncing the SR18 and the XR20? So, if I understand clearly, I'd have the same problem with these then with my Zoom?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown View Post
I'm not syncing the Zoom... actually, I'm not much of a MIDI guy, so I don't know exactly how that works (maybe I should read the part of the manual where there's info on that...). You have a problem with syncing the SR18 and the XR20? So, if I understand clearly, I'd have the same problem with these then with my Zoom?
Yeah, you definitely want to sync your drum machine via MIDI to any other equipment you're matching tempo with. Trying to do this acoustically would be a genuine headache.

P.69-70 of your manual talk (http://www.samsontech.com/site_media...ls/E_RT223.pdf) shows how to run the RT223 via an external device, though you can do the same thing in reverse and slave other devices to the RT223.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown View Post

Not necessarily - it seems to depend on what you're trying to sync it to. I cannot sync either with two multitrackers (Yamaha AW16g and Tascam 2488Neo) or a Korg M50, without putting another device between them. I've been using an old Alesis HR16 for this purpose, and it also works with an Akai Miniak. I have no idea why, as everything else syncs with the multitrackers and the M50 fine.

Oh, and what Zoink said.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Yeah, you definitely want to sync your drum machine via MIDI to any other equipment you're matching tempo with. Trying to do this acoustically would be a genuine headache.

P.69-70 of your manual talk (http://www.samsontech.com/site_media...ls/E_RT223.pdf) shows how to run the RT223 via an external device, though you can do the same thing in reverse and slave other devices to the RT223.

So I guess I'll spend $6.49 for a MIDI cable before I do anything else... thanks wink.gif

• Members

My favorite drum machine ever was my Boss DR770. It got knocked over one too many times and broke. Though it may sound dated now, it was super intuitive to use.

I replaced it with the newer Boss DR880, which definitely sounds better, but has too much stuff on it, and requires a hundred button presses for everything.

Before you get an MPC really consider if you need a sampling sequencer. Like really. OR if you want something you're comfortable with.

• Members

I have an xr20 and I love it. Great sounds and easy to use. MIDI clock locks right in to my AcidLab Bassline 3 for hours of techno fun. I slave it to Studio One as well. Plus it has cool blue backlit drum pads. cool.gif

The xr20 has an electronic sound set... It gets tagged as a "hip hop" drum machine and it is certainly marketed that way (shortsighted by Akai IMO) but in practice it works well with any electronic style. There are some 100 kits and you can make your own from the 700 samples on board. It has basic panning, eq, compression and delay to fine tune a kit as well. Easy to learn how to program.... Sometimes simple is better!

The synth samples really stink, but several of the one shots are suprisingly useful and fun. If you are after more traditional sounds and acoustic drums the Alesis is a better bet.

Hope that helps.

Archived