What is the best boost pedal to do this ...?

em07189

• Members

Hi everyone!

i want to know what is the best boost pedal to had Bottom end and make a amp to have a more modern distortion sound.

I prefer a pedal that can be used with the amp distortion,this because i have a great amp distortion and dont want to make it sound like a {censored}ing Solid state amp.

I was thinking about a pedal that will add somethig to the amp and not remove, in this case Bottom end .

Is this possible with somekind of pedal? what pedal?

Thanks.

• Members

Hi everyone!

i want to know what is the best boost pedal to had Bottom end and make a amp to have a more modern distortion sound.

I prefer a pedal that can be used with the amp distortion,this because i have a great amp distortion and dont want to make it sound like a {censored}ing Solid state amp.

I was thinking about a pedal that will add somethig to the amp and not remove, in this case Bottom end .

Is this possible with somekind of pedal? what pedal?

Thanks.

eq pedal

• Members

I've got a Boss OD-3 on the way, having ordered it due to hearing it doesn't lose ANY bottom end when using it as a boost. That may possibly be too much without cutting at least a tiny amount of bass on the amp, though; I'll know very soon. :cool:

Other than that, the Bad Monkey is really good for that, though my problem with that pedal is that it sucks a little tone (at least in my experience), which is something I hate even though it's only a small amount.

I currently also use an eq pedal in front of the amp, but I only slightly raise the lower-mids. It's an overload of bass if I raise the bass much on it when using it in front of the amp as a boost.

• Members

I use a bad monkey and the split high/low eq works great for clean boosting and adding a little bass. I havn't experienced the tone sucking rushtallica talked about, but our setups are probably different so I couldn't deny some tone suck in other applications. Try a BM out they're cheap!

• Members

I use a bad monkey and the split high/low eq works great for clean boosting and adding a little bass. I havn't experienced the tone sucking rushtallica talked about, but our setups are probably different so I couldn't deny some tone suck in other applications. Try a BM out they're cheap!

I think I've only read one other poster noticing a little of the same thing. I wish it wasn't working that way with my current amp; otherwise it's definitely a great and cheap overdrive pedal, IMO.

• Members

Personally I don't think you are looking for a BM at all. I have one, and though I will probably keep it, I am not as impressed with the sound quality as some others.

Back when I had a Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb, I thought it was okay. Added a different flavor of distortion but that's because I didn't really care for the distortion channel of that amp.

Now I have a distortion channel that is more capable in a TT and the sound of the BM is not nearly as pleasing in front of it.

What you want is an MXR Micro Amp. Adds more lower mids and gives what you got-more balls. That's with gain pot set at 12:30!

Addition of an EQ opens up even more options. But get the Micro first.

• Members

Rushtallica, what's your setup?

A Peavey Ultra Plus head going into a Carvin V412 cab loaded w/ 75-Watt Celestions. I use a variety of guitars with Dimarzio, EMG, and Seymour Duncan pickups. I've tried both output jacks on the pedal but get the same response. :(

I have a Boss OD-3 that should be arriving mid-week that I'll be able to compare with the Bad Monkey and will definitely be giving both pedals a thorough comparison test.

• Members

Personally I don't think you are looking for a BM at all. I have one, and though I will probably keep it, I am not as impressed with the sound quality as some others.

Back when I had a Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb, I thought it was okay. Added a different flavor of distortion but that's because I didn't really care for the distortion channel of that amp.

Now I have a distortion channel that is more capable in a TT and the sound of the BM is not nearly as pleasing in front of it.

What you want is an
MXR Micro Amp
. Adds more lower mids and gives what you got-more balls. That's with gain pot set at 12:30!

I definitely think the Bad Monkey works better for some setups than others. Man, that pedal ruled in front of the Laney AOR I tried, but then it took very well to my old ts10 tubescreamer, too. :D

• Members

What you want is an
MXR Micro Amp
. Adds more lower mids and gives what you got-more balls. That's with gain pot set at 12:30!

I use the Micro Amp along with a MXR 10 band. The Micro is a clean boost so you won't lose any low end and the 10 band will take you anywhere you want to go. You might actually be able to use the EQ on it's own.

• Members

I use the Micro Amp along with a MXR 10 band. The Micro is a clean boost so you won't lose any low end and the 10 band will take you anywhere you want to go. You might actually be able to use the EQ on it's own.

You don't even need the Micro Amp if you have an EQ with a level control.

• Members

4 options for me - I was after the same thing, but wanted two pedals (one to boost amp, one to boost board).

Choices for me were:

1. Keeley Katana - Good, but expensive

2. Catalinbread SCP - Good and beat the Keeley - just - but probably not for you (used to boost pedals not the amp) as its more transparent. That said, mine is the older version withought the Fat/Clean switch. The new one could be right up you alley.

3. Eotic RC Booster. Great pedal - should work for you

4. Dr Scientist "The Cleaness". - I bought this over the RC. Its a little grittier, but has a mid control as well as trebble and bass, but no gain control.

Id seriously look at the Cleaness and the RC booster if I was you. The Newer SCP is also worth a try though.

• Members

If you put a clean boost in front of the distorted amp it makes the amp sound more distorted without changing the character of the amp distortion. An EQ pedal with a level control works well for this and you can use the EQ to boost or subtract the frequencies you want.

+ 1. If looking for a slightly different tone as well as boost, then an overdrive pedal set with the gain not being too high would be worth checking out. My favorite boost in front of my Ultra Plus right now is a cheap Danelectro Fish & Chips eq pedal set in a slightly raised frown, a little higher on the lower-mids.

Archived