UK Forumites: Guitar tech recommendations?

The P-Man

• Members

Barrie Palmer, no question about it. Hes the best tech in the UK, does loads of pro stuff as well, but hes done my guitars as well as a bunch of people on this forum. Hes getting on a bit now, in his 60s i think, but he used to be a forsensic scientist, so has an amazing eye for detail as well as being a total perfectionist. He did a full setup and fret crowning on my RG7 and SL-1 while i waited. He used to work at Machinehead in Stevenage, but now hes moved to this place that i think is in essex. I knw its a trek for you in Wales, but its totally worth it. He transfordmed all my guitars and im sure a bunch of people will chime in to talk him up. Take a drive and make a day of it, or use their shipping service. Dunno if they have one at this new place, but at machinehead it used to be 12 quid each way.

http://www.giggear.co.uk/home/index.php?f=workshop

James

• Members

Barrie Palmer, no question about it. Hes the best tech in the UK, does loads of pro stuff as well, but hes done my guitars as well as a bunch of people on this forum. Hes getting on a bit now, in his 60s i think, but he used to be a forsensic scientist, so has an amazing eye for detail as well as being a total perfectionist. He did a full setup and fret crowning on my RG7 and SL-1 while i waited. He used to work at Machinehead in Stevenage, but now hes moved to this place that i think is in essex. I knw its a trek for you in Wales, but its totally worth it. He transfordmed all my guitars and im sure a bunch of people will chime in to talk him up. Take a drive and make a day of it, or use their shipping service. Dunno if they have one at this new place, but at machinehead it used to be 12 quid each way.

James

Thanks mate - I've heard of Barries reputation before so I'll have to give him a call. Good for Barrie that he's so well respected but I suppose it's something of a shame that there doesn't seem to be too many others in the UK who know what they're doing. Seriously, my last trip to a tech ended with file grooves having been cut into my fretboard and the guy trying to charge me

Archived