• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's the same XS engine

8 elements per voice
performance mode ONLY 2 voice

this i don't quite understand
"Each Performance contains not only the three sounds described above, but all the settings for a complete 16-Part Multi setting for play. You can switch between any of the 16 Parts without the sound cutting off. "

supports WAVE playback via usb stick
supports audio input via stereo 1/8" input

Very large photo of MX49
http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/im...8292_12073.jpg

rear

http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/im...9988_12075.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
it's the same XS engine

8 elements per voice
performance mode ONLY 2 voice

"Each Performance contains not only the three sounds described above, but all the settings for a complete 16-Part Multi setting for play. You can switch between any of the 16 Parts without the sound cutting off. "
To add more to confusion, the German guy in the video above says at 2:20 that performances are made of up to 4 voices, demonstrating it with some dance pad, bass, rhythm and... I catch nothing else. He uses three parts and arpregiator.

• Members
it's the same XS engine
Once again ''Filters were not mentioned, which is very strange..'' I hope your right but they may have cut back on some synth parameters confused.gif

You previously mentioned this was a workstation. If you are thinking that way them it would explain your confusion.

The synth has a basic sequencer:

Sequencer
Tempo (BPM) 5

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Basic question... I assume these MX synths feature a 16-part "sequencer" mode, for use when working with a DAW-based sequencer?
Does not appear to be 16 part internally although you can drive the 16 parts if you use a DAW. The Cubase AI and all its freebies it is a pretty full on set up...

I am tempted to get one for this reason since they have not stripped the DAW sequencer of things that are needed, so its a good platform to try that work flow. Assuming Cubase is any good that is.

• Members
In the latter part of the quote, it sounds like they are talking about the 16-part multi-timbral aspect of the board. That would be similar to the song/pattern MIX mode of a MOX (or I guess XS/XF). You can create a set of 16 sounds (typically one sound per MIDI channel, but that's not the only way to do it), and you can use 16 front panel buttons to call up and play those sounds from the keyboard, and sounds don't cut off when you switch from one to the other. That part is kind of like Roland's "patch remain" feature, except in this case it only works when switching among the 16 sounds you've set up in the preset, whereas in most Rolands (or Kronos, and often Kurzweil, I think), you can seamlessly switch to any other sound in the instrument.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Basic question... I assume these MX synths feature a 16-part "sequencer" mode, for use when working with a DAW-based sequencer?
Also to add

''Sequence formats SMF Format 0 (playback only)''

I will assume in play back of Midi file you could drive all 16 channels on one USB stick. So in that sense it can be used that way without the DAW connected...

We are at the point where we really need to see the User Manual icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Once again ''Filters were not mentioned, which is very strange..'' I hope your right but they may have cut back on some synth parameters confused.gif
You can see Cutoff and Resonance knobs right on the front panel, so there are user-adjustable filters. But I assume there is no deep sound editing of the kind that the MOX/XS/XF have. There is only a two-line display, that kind of kills it right there. (Nor does it have all the editing buttons.) It would be very cool if they supported a computer (or iPad) based editor, but I wouldn't count on it.

edit: not that deep editing with two display lines would be entirely impossible... the Korg Microstation and some rack units support a good deal of editing from those displays... but it's pretty darn painful.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
You can see Cutoff and Resonance knobs right on the front panel, so there are user-adjustable filters. But I assume there is no deep sound editing of the kind that the MOX/XS/XF have. There is only a two-line display, that kind of kills it right there. (Nor does it have all the editing buttons.) It would be very cool if they supported a computer (or iPad) based editor, but I wouldn't count on it.

edit: not that deep editing with two display lines would be entirely impossible... the Korg Microstation and some rack units support a good deal of editing from those displays... but it's pretty darn painful.

icon_lol.gifYeah Know... LOL

I think if it had no Filter controls or ADSR then I would start to understand the ''It's not a synth'' crowd.. No I really did see them and Yes I am refering to filter choices and deeper edits. IE lets not assume anything until we see the user guide...

• Members

If the MX is like the MM the editing is only of "Performances" which is either a single sound or a split/layer with selected effects and arps. The effects are probably limited to presets with minor tweaks (wet/dry, speed, etc.).

It's not a real sequencer, just an SMF player reading off USB storage. SMF playback is independent of the performances, so you can jam over the top (see the Japanese video above).

The DAW remote gives direct support of Cubase, I'm guessing AI6 is supplied. On Motifs, this also works with other DAWs (I use the Cubase mode with Ableton Live) though some remote features won't work as expected.

Like Bernard wrote, we'll need to see the manual to be certain about this stuff.

Anyway, looks very promising as a gig keyboard alternative to the usual budget offerings.

• Members

So additional concern is the DAW templates potetially are the only users of the Knobs. If that were the case it would be a preset machine in disguise...

Clearly Yamaha have rush out the User manual so we don't start the wrong rumors... LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived